After Hours: Ian Reddington
Friday 12 August 1994
My favourite proper restaurant is Poons, Leicester St, W1 (071-437 1528). They've tarted it up now, but the old Poons was incredible. I used to take people there and they wouldn't stay, the kitchen was right in your face and you always had to share a table. The food is still excellent, definitely the best Chinese in town. Gaby's, next to the Windmill Theatre, Charing Cross Rd, W1 (071-836 4233) is where I nip in for a quick bite. I've never been able to work out whether they're Israeli or Palestinian, anyway the food is Middle Eastern and delicious. When I'm feeling flash, not often, I like the Bombay Brasserie, Gloucester Rd, SW7 (071- 370 4040) especially if you sit in the conservatory, or The Cantina, Butlers Wharf, SE1 (071- 403 5403) - very smart. I've been to Quaglinos, 16 Bury St, SW1 (071-930 6767) once and loved it so if anyone wants to take me there again they're perfectly welcome.
I've saved the best 'til last and that's Rebatos, South Lambeth Rd, SW8 (071-735 6388). I've been going there for 12 years. It was the first tapas bar I ever went to. Now they are everywhere but it's still the best.
Ian Reddington played Richard Cole (Tricky Dicky) in 'EastEnders' and is now resting
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures