After Hours: Ian Reddington
Friday 12 August 1994
My favourite proper restaurant is Poons, Leicester St, W1 (071-437 1528). They've tarted it up now, but the old Poons was incredible. I used to take people there and they wouldn't stay, the kitchen was right in your face and you always had to share a table. The food is still excellent, definitely the best Chinese in town. Gaby's, next to the Windmill Theatre, Charing Cross Rd, W1 (071-836 4233) is where I nip in for a quick bite. I've never been able to work out whether they're Israeli or Palestinian, anyway the food is Middle Eastern and delicious. When I'm feeling flash, not often, I like the Bombay Brasserie, Gloucester Rd, SW7 (071- 370 4040) especially if you sit in the conservatory, or The Cantina, Butlers Wharf, SE1 (071- 403 5403) - very smart. I've been to Quaglinos, 16 Bury St, SW1 (071-930 6767) once and loved it so if anyone wants to take me there again they're perfectly welcome.
I've saved the best 'til last and that's Rebatos, South Lambeth Rd, SW8 (071-735 6388). I've been going there for 12 years. It was the first tapas bar I ever went to. Now they are everywhere but it's still the best.
Ian Reddington played Richard Cole (Tricky Dicky) in 'EastEnders' and is now resting
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow