Saturday 14 August 1993
The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis by Jose Saramago, Tr Giovanni Pontiero, Harvill, pounds 8.99. Spiritual odyssey of a remarkable doctor-poet on the streets of Lisbon. Winner of the 1993 pounds 10,000 Independent Foreign Fiction Prize.
The Ern Malley Affair by Michael Heyward, Faber, pounds 15.99. Intriguing account of a dazzling literary hoax. Review by Robert Winder, 13 August.
Cruel and Unusual by Patricia D Cornwell, Little, Brown, pounds 14.99. Tense and bloodstained thriller from the mortician's slab. Interview by Amanda Craig, 10 July.
The Wine Dark Sea by Patrick O'Brien, HarperCollins, pounds 12.95. Enthralling continuation of the novel-sequence about 18th- century seafarers. Interview by Peter Guttridge, 3 July.
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rice Bucket Challenge: India's take on the Ice Bucket Challenge 'for Indian needs'
- 2 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 Rubble Bucket Challenge: Ice Bucket Challenge adapted in solidarity with Gazans whose homes have been destroyed in conflict
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Make sure you know the new rules from 1 October or risk £1,000 fine
Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love voted Greatest Guitar Riff of all time
Doctor Who lesbian kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Emmys 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Steven Moffat win big awards for Sherlock
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Beyonce MTV VMAs feminist performance: Twitter reacts to singer's 'double standard'
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Air strikes? Talk of God? Barack Obama is following the jihadists’ script after James Foley beheading
- < Previous
- Next >