Saturday 14 August 1993
The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis by Jose Saramago, Tr Giovanni Pontiero, Harvill, pounds 8.99. Spiritual odyssey of a remarkable doctor-poet on the streets of Lisbon. Winner of the 1993 pounds 10,000 Independent Foreign Fiction Prize.
The Ern Malley Affair by Michael Heyward, Faber, pounds 15.99. Intriguing account of a dazzling literary hoax. Review by Robert Winder, 13 August.
Cruel and Unusual by Patricia D Cornwell, Little, Brown, pounds 14.99. Tense and bloodstained thriller from the mortician's slab. Interview by Amanda Craig, 10 July.
The Wine Dark Sea by Patrick O'Brien, HarperCollins, pounds 12.95. Enthralling continuation of the novel-sequence about 18th- century seafarers. Interview by Peter Guttridge, 3 July.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe in bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
- 5 Hitler’s food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
Laurie Lee's Rosie: What is it like to inspire a writer's work and be immortalised on the page?
Doctor Who series 8: Time Heist pictures revealed ahead of episode 5
The Walking Dead season 5 air date, trailer and season 4 recap
Well this Star Wars 7 leaked set photo of Adam Driver changes everything
Pharrell Williams says 'Blurred Lines' criticism is 'out of context'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter