Saturday 14 August 1993
The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis by Jose Saramago, Tr Giovanni Pontiero, Harvill, pounds 8.99. Spiritual odyssey of a remarkable doctor-poet on the streets of Lisbon. Winner of the 1993 pounds 10,000 Independent Foreign Fiction Prize.
The Ern Malley Affair by Michael Heyward, Faber, pounds 15.99. Intriguing account of a dazzling literary hoax. Review by Robert Winder, 13 August.
Cruel and Unusual by Patricia D Cornwell, Little, Brown, pounds 14.99. Tense and bloodstained thriller from the mortician's slab. Interview by Amanda Craig, 10 July.
The Wine Dark Sea by Patrick O'Brien, HarperCollins, pounds 12.95. Enthralling continuation of the novel-sequence about 18th- century seafarers. Interview by Peter Guttridge, 3 July.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations