All Made Up, By Janice Galloway
Saturday 07 July 2012
In her first volume of memoirs, This Is Not About Me, Galloway wrote about her pinched childhood in the Ayrshire town of Saltcoats.
In this next installment we find the 12-year old Janice about to start secondary school – rich in inspirational teachers happy to show her the "path through the dark, dark wood." Galloway's prose crackles as fiercely as her mother's brushed-nylon sheets as she recounts the physical betrayals of puberty and the abuse meted out by her older sister, Cora. A writer able to conjure up the blistering emotional life of an ever-watchful child.
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First