Blonde Bombshell, By Tom Holt
Mark Twain was a smart bomb, sent to earth by dogs...
Sunday 30 January 2011
A distant planet, on which dogs are the dominant species and humans are their pets, sends an intelligent bomb to destroy Earth, where we are annoying them by playing our music too loud.
The bomb decides to investigate Earth's defences before blowing it up, and transforms into a humanoid, self-christened Mark Twain. On Earth, he meets Lucy Pavlov, a computer genius and the richest and most beautiful woman on the planet. Throw in an alcoholic banker, a unicorn, some comedy villains and a bunch of dead octopi and you have the ingredients for a comic SF caper reminiscent of Terry Pratchett. Or Douglas Adams, but not quite as good. A fun, undemanding read which will put you in touch with your inner adolescent.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Angelina Jolie confirms retirement from acting: 'I've never been comfortable on-screen'
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures