Headline Review £7.99 (502pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
My Last Duchess, By Daisy Goodwin
Friday 21 January 2011
Cora Cash is, as her name suggests, a rich American heiress with the youth and beauty to have her pick of the world's most eligible bachelors. But because this is the turn of the 20th century, when it is all the rage for nouveau American scions to marry impoverished European blue-bloods, Cora's aspirational mother whisks her off to England so that this Anglo-American transaction can take place.
Cora ends up - against all her mother's plans - not playing the game but falling in love. In this lively and intelligent debut novel, Daisy Goodwin takes the eccentricities of a decadent age (when billionaire Americans sought footholds into upper-class European society) and breathes romance into it. The effect is historical novel-cum-Dynasty.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
What are the worst 'Word Crimes'?
Hercules, review: Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson takes centre stage in preposterous film
Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
Noel Fielding's 'Luxury Comedy': A land of the outright bizarre
Can Secret Cinema sell 80,000 'Back to the Future' tickets?
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia