ROADS PUBLISHING £40
Reflections: Libraries, Foreword by Bjarne Hammer
Sunday 16 March 2014
As libraries across Britain are threatened by further spending cuts, this magnificently illustrated exploration of 44 of the world’s finest, most innovative, and spectacular examples is timely. According to Ray Bradbury, author of Fahrenheit 451: “Without libraries what have we? We have no past and no future.”
Libraries is a visual exploration of how cultures around the world have responded to the impulse to protect and interact with the written word; for the story of the human experience is told not only in the books upon a library’s shelves, but also in its architecture. Readers are invited into the most ornate libraries, lauded universities, and innovative design works on earth; the mannerist and the ultra-modern, the opulent and the austere.
Bjarne Hammer, founding partner at Schmidt Hammer Lassen architects, writes in the foreword: “We, as architects, have a unique opportunity to design libraries which support new ways for people to meet, interact and share knowledge.”
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Churchill: The Nation's Farewell, TV review: Paxman reveals truth behind crane docker tribute, but delivers a fitting honour to Winston
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures