Abacus £6.99 (360pp)(free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 0870 079 8897
The Night of the Mi'raj, By Zoe Ferraris
Friday 24 April 2009
Set in Saudi Arabia, this compelling debut poses an arresting conundrum: how is crime investigated in a culture where men and women abide by different rules? When 16-year old Nouf disappears days before her wedding, her family are desperate to find her.
Yet when her body is discovered in a ravine, they seem just as keen to keep the crime under wraps. Only Nouf's stepbrother, Othaman, suspects a cover-up. To his aid comes Nayir, a desert guide, and fiancée Katya. The prickly working relationship between two amateur detectives lies at the heart of this psychological drama.
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove