Vintage £7.99 (260pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
When Love Speaks, Edited By Adam O'Riordan
Friday 11 February 2011
As WB Yeats wrote in a poem not included here (though several of his gems appear), "How but in custom and in ceremony/ Are innocence and beauty born?"
Far more, and better, than the routine Valentine's anthology, Adam O'Riordan's collection picks pieces of verse and prose to match the rituals of weddings, civil partnerships and married life.
Though the items fall into groups determined by tradition ("vows" to "recession"), couples of all kinds may find inspiration here.
Among the poems, enjoy not just the likes of Donne, Hardy and Shakespeare but Cole Porter and Alice Oswald. The prose, selected with a keen roving eye, ranges from Dickens and Chesterton to Doris Lessing and Vita Sackville-West. Ring the bells for a garland that revives a stale genre.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments