When the Killing's Done, By TC Boyle
Conservation thriller with no end of rats
Sunday 18 March 2012
Here is an unusual subject for a thriller: the conflict between biologists who want to manage wildlife numbers, and animal-rights activists who want to stop them.
Alma Takesue and her team plan to exterminate the black rats on the island of Anacapa, off California, because they threaten nesting birds; but Dave LaJoy and his band of nut jobs will do anything to save the rats. (It's clear whose side we're supposed to be on.)
Objects, landscapes, weather, characters, animals, food, clothing ... all are meticulously described. The tension takes time to build, however, and T C Boyle's sentences tend to meander. Not that he ever loses syntactical control, but reading one 80-word sentence after another gets tiring.
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Search for plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore suspended overnight
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
The Interview finally gets US release after Sony hack and terror threats – but reviews of North Korea satire are mixed
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk