Unthank Books £12.99 (333pp) £11.69 from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Writers In Conversation with Christopher Bigsby
Arifa Akbar is literary editor of The Independent and i newspapers. She has worked at The Independent since 2001 as a news reporter and arts correspondent before joining the books desk in 2009. She was a judge for the Orwell Prize for books, 2013.
Friday 07 October 2011
Reflecting on his novel, Time's Arrow, Martin Amis remembers an odd moment from his childhood: "I asked my mother very uneasily: 'Who was Hitler?' and she said, 'Oh, don't worry about Hitler. He would have loved you'."
John Banville expresses regret at not going to university, Jonathan Franzen talks about the ease with which he creates female characters, and that's just the tip of the iceberg in this third volume of collected (and edited) talks conducted as part of the University of East Anglia's literary festival.
Bigsby, professor of American studies, proves with these wonderous exchanges that an interview is as intimate, amusing and as enlightening as its interviewer's questioning style.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
musicPolice chief rejects rappers' claims that his work is as dangerous as law enforcement or military service
comedy'Fresh Meat' star sees off stiff competition from Alan Carr, David Mitchell, Graham Norton, Lee Mack and Sarah Millican to win top prize
healthJames Bond's alcohol consumption puts him at 'high risk' of cirrhosis, tremors... and impotence
Arts & Ents blogs
Jack Whitehall crowned king of British Comedy Awards
Beyonce guerrilla releases entire new album worldwide on iTunes
American Psycho , theatre review: Matt Smith regenerates as ripped uber-narcissist
MasterChef: The Professionals 2013 - Steven Edwards crowned winner
Kanye West is as 'misguided as they come': Ohio police chief rejects rapper's claims that his work is as dangerous as law enforcement or military service
- 1 Italian court annuls prison sentence for elderly paedophile after 11-year-old victim tells investigators in Catanzaro that she loves him
- 2 Australia incest case: Deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 3 Woman who miscarried in private prison 'made to clean up after herself,' court told
- 4 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- 5 Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white
- < Previous
- Next >