Food for thought: Nico Muhly, composer
Sunday 29 September 2013
The American composer is a co-founder of the LA Dance Project, which makes its London debut at Sadler’s Wells this week. His opera Two Boys also opens next month at the Met in New York. He tells Charlotte Cripps about his current reading, watching and listening ...
Relaxed day listening to Cardinall’s Musick disc of Thomas Tallis.
Locked myself in at home and wrote furiously. Read more of Jenna Miscavige Hill’s book about her leaving Scientology.
Listened to New York Polyphony singing Byrd. Obsessive TV watching for news the New York Mayoral primary race.
Rosh Hashannah! Listened to most of Jordi Savall’s three-hour album Jerusalem. Obsessively watched TV about the New York Mayoral race
My first orchestral rehearsal with the Met’s orchestra. Once home and in pyjamas, I listened to Chet Baker.
A road trip to Montauk for a friend’s bachelor do, listening to a madcap mix of 90’s R&B, Jaheim, the new 2 Chainz album, vintage Kanye.
More bachelor shenanigans, this time on the beach. Somebody had the foresight to bring a speaker.
Driving back to New York, there was wrestling for control over the radio, and we ended up with classic rock.
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people