Opera festival of the week: Tête à Tête: The Opera Festival, Riverside Studios, London W6
Friday 26 July 2013
Tête à Tête's festival of new opera and opera-in-the-making hosts more than 30 world premieres this year, jam-packed into three long weekends.
Opening offerings include Ergo Phizmiz's puppet opera about Salvador Dalí's wife, Gala; Erick Flores and Afsaneh Gray's exploration of public reactions to reality TV star Jade Goody's death in and the Crowd (wept); and mezzo-soprano Lore Lixenberg's The End of Civilisation As We Know It.
Later offerings include Arnie Gieshoff's Viagron, a sexually explicit take on Petronius's The Satyricon, and tango king Astor Piazzolla's only opera, Maria de Buenos Aires.
(020 8237 1111; riversidestudios.co.uk) Thursday to 18 August
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
They're back, they're big – and they're still spectacularly boringfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in World Cup match
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories