Rik Mayall dead: Funniest moments from Blackadder to The Young Ones
Who could forget Mayall's grand entrance as Lord Flashheart or 'that' University Challenge scene?
Scroll to watch ten classic clips
The star of The Young Ones made a name for himself after appearing in TV comedies such as Blackadder, The New Statesman and Bottom.
He was also known for his long-time professional partnership with Ade Edmondson.
Mayall had survived a near-fatal quad bike accident in Devon in 1998 but the circumstances of his death currently remain unclear.
David Walliams was one of the first to pay tribute to Mayall. "I am heartbroken that my comedy idol growing up Rik Mayall has died," he wrote on Twitter, before sharing a clip of the actor as Lord Flashheart (see below).
As the comedy industry remembers one of their most-loved actors, we take a look at some of Mayall's funniest moments:
1) Woof! Mayall’s grand entrance as Edmund’s best man Lord Flashheart in 1989’s Blackadder Goes Forth is one of the all-time best...
2) ... while the Flying Corps hero's flying visit to regale George and Baldrick with tales of derring-do in the dugout still steals laughs years on.
3) Mayall starred as the pompous wannabe anarchist Rick in hit Eighties sitcom The Young Ones. Here he is reciting his 'memorable' poem in ode to Cliff Richard from the very first episode, 'Demolition'.
4) More from The Young Ones next. Many fans will remember the University Challenge scene in which Rick appears as 'Prick' and Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie , Ben Elton and Emma Thompson also star.
5) Mayall's hilarious response to a fan requesting an autograph in June 2008 has to be one of the best take-downs ever.
6) Some of Mayall's best quotes came as fictional MP Alan B'stard in satirical sitcomThe New Statesman: "You know the really great thing about a fudged Coalition is that neither of us need to carry out a single promise of our election manifestos!"
7) Mayall starred as Richard 'Richie' Richard in Bottom, the slapstick comedy he created with Edmondson in the early Nineties. Here he is realising he is "different from the other people".
8) His latest role as Dad in last year's Man Down sees Mayall enter into a mammoth ball game with ridiculous and disastrous consequences. Poor Mr Mimples...
9) Mayall starred in the title role as a young girl's mischievous imaginary friend in 1991 cult fantasy film Drop Dead Fred. Here is one of the movie's more famous scenes:
10) Just in case you haven't had your fill, here's an entertaining montage of 15 more great Rik Mayall moments:
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming that the street artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 5 Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
X Factor 2014 results: Chloe Jasmine and Stephanie Nala sent home
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver allegedly kicks gay couple off for kissing
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage