Cariad Lloyd: The Freewheelin’ Cariad Lloyd, Pleasance Courtyard, Edinburgh
The hit of The Free Fringe and a newcomer nominee for the Foster's Edinburgh Comedy Award last year, Cariad Lloyd is back with another collection of loopy characters and sparkling one-liners.
Joining her returning characters Cockney Sam, music-hall singer, and child stand-up, Andrew, are new creations Moomin Mama, a Scandinavian detective, Kitty Romford, a Film Noir checkout girl and ‘New Girl’ parody Joey Bechamel.
It’s all endearingly bonkers with some delicious morphing in and out of character and a goofy subplot about being made to adhere to genre rules by the Fringe Police. There are many lovably silly ideas (young Andrew talking to us about Will.i.am Shakespeare, for example) and some peachy lines (“No one can stare out of a window like Sarah Lund” says Moomin Mama wistfully of her colleague) but sometimes Lloyd's “freewheelin’” characters feel like they are cut from the same shrill cloth. A well-researched pop at Zooey Deschanel’s ‘New Girl’ character in particular witters on for ages (admittedly much like the original).
Somewhere between last year’s range and this year’s attention to detail, there lies a perfectly paced and pitched show for Lloyd. With such a learned ear for a gag, it surely won’t be long before she delivers it.
To 26 August, 0131 556 6550
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk