Depp tops moneymakers at the box office in 2010
Friday 31 December 2010
Despite the fact that
The Tourist stars two of Hollywood's top actors, the thriller has underperformed at the box office. But that did not stop Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie from topping the annual poll of Motion Picture Exhibitors.
Depp was voted the top money-making star of 2010 for the third time and Jolie is second in the 79th survey conducted by Quigley Publishing Company.
Theater owners and film buyers considered Depp responsible for more traffic to theaters than any other actor this year, especially with his performance in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, the second biggest blockbuster of 2010.
The ten stars with the most power to generate box office revenue at cinemas in 2010 are published in the International Motion Picture Almanac. They follow in ranking:
1. Johnny Depp ( Alice in Wonderland, The Tourist)
2. Angelina Jolie ( Salt, The Tourist)
3. Robert Downey, Jr. ( Iron Man 2, Due Date)
4. Matt Damon ( Green Zone, Hereafter, True Grit)
5. Steve Carell ( Date Night, Dinner for Schmucks, Despicable Me)
6. Tom Hanks ( Toy Story 3)
7. Denzel Washington ( The Book of Eli, Unstoppable)
8. Leonardo DiCaprio ( Inception, Shutter Island)
9. George Clooney ( The American)
10. Anne Hathaway ( Valentine's Day, Alice in Wonderland, Love and Other Drugs)
Exhibitors also named the year's breakthrough actors as "Stars of Tomorrow" - those most likely to become "Top Money-Makers" in the future. The winners are Zach Galifianakis ( The Hangover), who starred in Dinner for Schmucks with Steve Carell and Due Date with Robert Downey Jr, and Michelle Williams ( Brokeback Mountain, Shutter Island), a Golden Globe nominee for her performance in Blue Valentine.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 3 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 4 African jawbone discovery pushes birth of humanity back by 400,000 years
- 5 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
The Great Comic Relief Bake Off, TV review: Alexa Chung impresses, but Chris Moyles makes Paul Hollywood gag
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Seth Rogan's pot fumes delay hacked Sony boss’s office move
India's Daughter: BBC Four documentary provokes outrage on Twitter
India's Daughter, TV review: Delhi bus rape documentary is about women's rights around the world - not just in India
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin