Depp tops moneymakers at the box office in 2010
Friday 31 December 2010
Despite the fact that
The Tourist stars two of Hollywood's top actors, the thriller has underperformed at the box office. But that did not stop Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie from topping the annual poll of Motion Picture Exhibitors.
Depp was voted the top money-making star of 2010 for the third time and Jolie is second in the 79th survey conducted by Quigley Publishing Company.
Theater owners and film buyers considered Depp responsible for more traffic to theaters than any other actor this year, especially with his performance in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, the second biggest blockbuster of 2010.
The ten stars with the most power to generate box office revenue at cinemas in 2010 are published in the International Motion Picture Almanac. They follow in ranking:
1. Johnny Depp ( Alice in Wonderland, The Tourist)
2. Angelina Jolie ( Salt, The Tourist)
3. Robert Downey, Jr. ( Iron Man 2, Due Date)
4. Matt Damon ( Green Zone, Hereafter, True Grit)
5. Steve Carell ( Date Night, Dinner for Schmucks, Despicable Me)
6. Tom Hanks ( Toy Story 3)
7. Denzel Washington ( The Book of Eli, Unstoppable)
8. Leonardo DiCaprio ( Inception, Shutter Island)
9. George Clooney ( The American)
10. Anne Hathaway ( Valentine's Day, Alice in Wonderland, Love and Other Drugs)
Exhibitors also named the year's breakthrough actors as "Stars of Tomorrow" - those most likely to become "Top Money-Makers" in the future. The winners are Zach Galifianakis ( The Hangover), who starred in Dinner for Schmucks with Steve Carell and Due Date with Robert Downey Jr, and Michelle Williams ( Brokeback Mountain, Shutter Island), a Golden Globe nominee for her performance in Blue Valentine.
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
Better Call Saul creator Peter Gould on the creative concerns of a prequel, season 2 and the mind-numbing realities of the small courts
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Doctor Who film will definitely happen, leaked Sony emails reveal
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
The Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice trailer has leaked – watch
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling