Depp tops moneymakers at the box office in 2010
Friday 31 December 2010
Despite the fact that
The Tourist stars two of Hollywood's top actors, the thriller has underperformed at the box office. But that did not stop Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie from topping the annual poll of Motion Picture Exhibitors.
Depp was voted the top money-making star of 2010 for the third time and Jolie is second in the 79th survey conducted by Quigley Publishing Company.
Theater owners and film buyers considered Depp responsible for more traffic to theaters than any other actor this year, especially with his performance in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, the second biggest blockbuster of 2010.
The ten stars with the most power to generate box office revenue at cinemas in 2010 are published in the International Motion Picture Almanac. They follow in ranking:
1. Johnny Depp ( Alice in Wonderland, The Tourist)
2. Angelina Jolie ( Salt, The Tourist)
3. Robert Downey, Jr. ( Iron Man 2, Due Date)
4. Matt Damon ( Green Zone, Hereafter, True Grit)
5. Steve Carell ( Date Night, Dinner for Schmucks, Despicable Me)
6. Tom Hanks ( Toy Story 3)
7. Denzel Washington ( The Book of Eli, Unstoppable)
8. Leonardo DiCaprio ( Inception, Shutter Island)
9. George Clooney ( The American)
10. Anne Hathaway ( Valentine's Day, Alice in Wonderland, Love and Other Drugs)
Exhibitors also named the year's breakthrough actors as "Stars of Tomorrow" - those most likely to become "Top Money-Makers" in the future. The winners are Zach Galifianakis ( The Hangover), who starred in Dinner for Schmucks with Steve Carell and Due Date with Robert Downey Jr, and Michelle Williams ( Brokeback Mountain, Shutter Island), a Golden Globe nominee for her performance in Blue Valentine.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Angelina Jolie confirms retirement from acting: 'I've never been comfortable on-screen'
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures