The Impossible Cool: Hollywood icons in pictures
Before green screens, CGI and 3D blockbusters, Hollywood made its impact with people – and faces that came to define a generation.
Marilyn Monroe, James Dean and Steve McQueen, to mention just a few, soon transcended their roles as mere entertainers, as their names and images came to represent cool and sophistication.
Being some of the most photographed people in the world, it is rare to find pictures of these stars that we're not familiar with. But after trawling through 2 million images at Getty Images' archives in Los Angeles, photographic printers Sonic Editions pulled out ten undiscovered images that captured these iconic faces in some of their most human moments.
They are now reproducing 50 each image as limited edition prints.
game of thrones reviewWarning: spoilers
North London meets The Exorcist in eerie suburban drama
Filming to begin on two new series due to be aired on Dave from next year
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Lucy Hawking: Stephen Hawking's daughter writes impassioned open letter to Katie Hopkins about rights of disabled people
- 2 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 3 Russell Brand backs Ed Miliband: 'You gotta vote Labour'
- 4 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
In defence of liberal democracy
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils