Frozen becomes highest-grossing Disney animated film of all time
The success of the film's soundtrack has been key
Frozen’s stellar performance in cinemas has helped it surpass The Lion King and become the most successful Disney-produced animated film ever.
The movie has now taken $712.3 million (£434.7 million) at the box office worldwide, according to the Wall Street Journal, though the record does not account for inflation or re-releases.
Much of its success can be attributed to the original soundtrack, which has proved the biggest talking point and stormed to the top of the US Billboard charts, expected to block even Beyonce from the No.1 spot this week.
Frozen also earned a Golden Globe on Sunday night, and is set for further box office success given that it is still yet to open in several major markets, including China.
Loosely based on Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale The Snow Queen, Frozen has helped Disney step out of Pixar’s shadow, the computer animation studio which has been responsible for so many of its successes in recent years, including Toy Story 3 and Finding Nemo.
Disney has two more animated films set for release in 2014, a Planes sequel called Fire & Rescue and Marvel Comics superhero movie Big Hero 6.
Listen to his collaboration with Naughty Boymusic
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers