Iran plans to sue Hollywood over 'unrealistic portrayal' of country in Argo
Tuesday 12 March 2013
Iranian authorities are reported to be planning to sue Hollywood over the Oscar-winning Argo because of the film's allegedly "unrealistic portrayal" of the country.
Several news outlets, including the pro-reform Shargh daily, said today that French lawyer Isabelle Coutant-Peyre is in Iran for talks with officials over how and where to file the lawsuit.
Ms Coutant-Peyre is also the lawyer for notorious Venezuelan-born terrorist Ilich Ramirez Sanchez, known as Carlos the Jackal.
The decision on the lawsuit came after a group of Iranian cultural officials and movie critics screened the film in a closed audience in a Tehran cinema late last night.
Last month Iranian officials dismissed Argo as pro-CIA, anti-Iran propaganda.
The film is based on the escape of six American hostages from the besieged US Embassy in Tehran in 1979.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world