Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch rules out roles in Star Wars and Doctor Who
The actor dashed fans' hopes at a convention in Australia
Sunday 13 April 2014
Science fiction fans were left doubly disappointed over the weekend after Benedict Cumberbatch announced that he would not be starring in the new Star Wars films or playing any part in Doctor Who.
Speaking at the Oz Comic Con in Sydney, Australia yesterday, Cumberbatch said that he would not be taking part in either of the franchises.
According to the entertainment site The Iris, which was live-tweeting from the event, the 37-year-old actor told the audience “I would've liked a part in JJ's [Abrams] new Star Wars but it won't happen sadly.”
Cumberbatch then delivered another crushing blow during the question and answer session by dismissing any rumours he would be starring in Doctor Who.
“I’m never gonna play The Doctor and nothing to do with the Whoniverse.”
The news may come as a disappointment to fans of the British actor best-known for role as the modern day super-sleuth in Sherlock and Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness.
Cumberbatch was one of the names touted about when Matt Smith announced he would be leaving the role of the Time Lord last year.
Although writer Steven Moffat oversees both Sherlock and Doctor Who, Cumberbatch will not be playing a part in the latter.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, filming is now underway on Episode VII. The new Star Wars films will serve as a follow up to 1983’s Return of the Jedi and is being directed by JJ Abrams, who also helms the rebooted Star Trek films.
Some of the original cast members, including Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher are rumoured to be reprising their roles, with Peter Mayhew now confirmed to be playing the loveable Wookie Chewbacca.
While there is speculation that Girls star Adam Driver, Downton Abbey’s Ed Speelers and Lupita Nyong’o will also have roles in the forthcoming instalment.
Cumberbatch will next be starring as Richard III for a BBC production and will be taking to the stage in Hamlet next year.
BBC Trust agrees to axe channel from TV in favour of digital moveTV
FestivalsFive ways to avoid the portable toilets
Jurassic WorldThe results are completely brilliant
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 2 Russian officials ban yoga because it's too much like a religious cult
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
- 5 Ginger Pride festival to take place next summer, organisers say 'time of bullying gingers is over'
Glastonbury 2015: The best bits you missed from Lionel Richie and the Dalai Lama to The Libertines' secret set
Glastonbury 2015: The picture of a man crowd surfing in a wheelchair is brilliant, but it wasn't taken at Glastonbury
Fifty Shades of Grey author EL James' Twitter Q&A didn't exactly go as planned
Glastonbury 2015: Shocking scenes of rubbish left strewn across campsite as clean-up begins
Glastonbury 2015: The Who mock Kanye West - 'who's the biggest rock star in the world?'
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS