Also showing: Won't Back Down and Movie 43
Sunday 27 January 2013
Won't Back Down (121 mins, PG)
Maggie Gyllenhaal and Viola Davis star as a mother and a teacher who are determined to turn around a failing inner-city school in Pittsburgh – and, as we all know, people who are determined to do something always succeed. Ironically for a film in praise of education, this predictable mush doesn't ask its viewers to do much thinking. Apparently, bad teachers spend their days texting, while good teachers inspire their pupils with line-dancing and ukulele-playing sessions.
Movie 43 (90 mins, 15)
Peter Farrelly masterminded this compilation of bad-taste sketches which has 12 different directors at the helm, and features a huge cast of Hollywood A-listers, including Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry and Naomi Watts. Alas, it wasn't screened to critics.
Arts & Ents blogs
'The Full Monty' stage play to close in West End after only a month - despite Olivier Awards nomination
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on acting one-handed and why Jaime Lannister is really not so bad
Halle Berry's role in X-Men: Days of Future Past cut down to one scene
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli says she wants to see more male nudity in the show
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers