An American In Paris (U)
Starring: Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron, Oscar Levant
There's nothing effete about Gene Kelly's artist abroad in An American in Paris. He's the archetypal yank, brash and muscular, especially when courting Leslie Caron.
Vincente Minnelli's Technicolor musical, re-released in a gorgeous restoration, is fresher than ever. The 17-minute ballet climax reheats stereotypes about bohemian Paris but the reckless energy of both director and star invigorates the sequence.
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.