Brooklyn's Finest (18)
Friday 11 June 2010
The title, bleak with irony, refers to three Brooklyn cops whose individual stories crisscross through Antoine Fuqua's violent and overlong study of moral squalor.
As in his Training Day, the emphasis is on the dark side of the law. Ethan Hawke is a Catholic family man so desperate to make ends meet he gets his hands dirty with stolen drug money. Richard Gere plays an old soak steeped in self-loathing, with seven days to go before retirement. Don Cheadle, the most convincing of the trio, is an undercover narcs cop masquerading as a local gangsta, and twisted up with vying loyalties. There are impressive things here, including a supporting cast that lend texture to the ominous mood: Wesley Snipes plays a hot-out-of-jail drug baron who once saved Cheadle's life, and Ellen Barkin is a hard-ass high-up in the Brooklyn force. Writer Michael C Martin is good on the gangsta patter ("What kinda whip you pushin' round?" translates as "What car are you driving?"), though it must be said that his three main characters hardly deviate from stock – corrupt cop, divided cop, burnt-out cop – and nor does the plot. Sidney Lumet has written the book on these tragic blues; this just looks like the knock-off paperback.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arts & Ents blogs
YouTube star Rebecca Black is back with Saturday (it's a sequel to Friday, see?)
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
Metallica play Antarctica: What other bizarre gigs have musicians played?
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >