DVD & Blu Ray: Magic Mike (15)
Saturday 24 November 2012
Matthew McConaughey, after his louche turn in Killer Joe, once again excels as an ageing, preening stripper in Steven Soderbergh's lightweight drama.
Channing Tatum plays Magic Mike, an amiable hunk who leads a troupe of male strippers (their moves are slightly fruitier than The Full Monty) and takes lost 19-year-old Adam (Alex Pettyfer) under his wing. He's also rather taken by Adam's stern sister (Cody Horn). An undemanding tale that lacks the bite and wit of, say, American Gigolo and Boogie Nights.
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin file for divorce after 10 years of marriage
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Katie Hopkins on LBC: Listen to caller taking The Sun columnist to task over migrant comments
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Migrant boat disaster: Countries across Europe accused of 'closing their eyes' to thousands of deaths in the Mediterranean