DVD & Blu-ray review: Mental (15)
PJ Hogan DVD/Blu-ray (115mins)
Friday 05 April 2013
“Go shopping until you cheer up,” is the unhelpful advice given to Rebecca Gibney's distraught mum, Shirley, in a cake shop.
The plump mother feels neglected by her husband (Anthony LaPaglia's philandering mayor), her five unruly daughters and is partial to Sound of Music outbursts in her suburban garden. When Shirley takes a “holiday”, Toni Collette's mutinous nanny is called in to “fix everything”. PJ Hogan's black comedy starts promisingly before fading into sentimentality and chaos towards the finale.
BBC Trust agrees to axe channel from TV in favour of digital moveTV
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy