DVD: Crazy Stupid Love (12)
Friday 27 January 2012
Gosling again. This time he plays strutting, womanising Jacob, who proclaims he's a "total tomcat in the sack" to Emma Stone's lovely Hannah.
However, this film isn't really about these two, but about Cal (Steve Carell) and the disintegration of his marriage to weepy Emily (Julianne Moore). She informs him that she wants a divorce over dinner in the opening scene, before admitting that she slept with Kevin Bacon's sleazecake. So Cal retires to a pick-up joint, where he's taken pity upon by Jacob, who tells him, "I'm going to help you rediscover your manhood." Gosling and Stone are a hoot – but the finale, which clumsily rips off About a Boy, is too cloying.
TVJamie's Sugar Rush reveal's campaigning chef's new foe
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees