DVD: Moneyball (12)
Friday 23 March 2012
Bennett Miller's charming sports film, scripted by Steve Zaillian (Schindler's List) and Aaron Sorkin, is on paper as dull as they come: the general manager of a baseball team, the Oakland A's, recruits a whizz kid at economics to help build a winning team on the cheap.
That it works is down to a smart script and a committed performance from Brad Pitt as the cash-poor boss Billy Beane. When Beane loses three players, he takes the advice of Jonah Hill's numbers genius, who devises a revolutionary player-selection system based on a statistical analysis of each player's skills. Inevitably, the pair come up against grizzled coaches who don't like change. Oddly gripping stuff.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Doctor Who lesbian kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Emmys 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Steven Moffat win big awards for Sherlock
Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Kate Bush, Hammersmith Apollo, review: The long wait felt worth it
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- < Previous
- Next >