DVD: Red Hill (15)
Friday 10 June 2011
Patrick Hughes's Australian Western pays homage to Clint Eastwood's High Plains Drifter, and John Sturgess's Bad Day at Black Rock, but it is fatally hindered by some poorly orchestrated action, terrible editing and weak characterisation.
Ryan Kwanten's damaged cop Shane Cooper (see what they did there?) takes a job in the supposedly sleepy town of Red Hill to reduce the stress of his wife's pregnancy. Shane soon ends up being caught up in a Death Wish-style bloodbath, inflicted by a disfigured aboriginal, Jimmy Conway. Red Hill, which completely loses it way 30 minutes in, also has the audacity to include some mystical hokum involving a black panther.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
- 5 New Tricks: Dennis Waterman to leave the show after a decade of crime-solving
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
Friends 20th anniversary: The highs and lows of the cast's careers since TV series ended in 2004
Friends 20th anniversary: Six things we wouldn't have without influential comedy series
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God