DVD: The Expendables (15)
Friday 03 December 2010
Handled right, Sly Stallone's testosterone-fuelled hokum could have been fun. But it's not. Stallone mostly plays the action straight, and it's aimed at 12-year-old boys.
Sly and his grunts (Jason Statham, Jet Li etc) are hellbent on overthrowing a South American dictator. Typical lines here include "bullets are faster than blades". Sly, as usual, grunts incoherently, and the scene between Stallone and Mickey Rourke, slurring furiously, is inpenetrable. However, the usually wooden Statham is quite good, and it's nice to see Charisma Carpenter from Buffy the Vampire Slayer get a part. Not silly enough, and the scene between Arnie, Willis and Sly isn't as droll as it thinks it is.
musicReview: Culture Club performs live for first time in 12 years
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are