DVD: The Hour: Series 2 (15)
Dominic West's caddish news anchor, Hector, dominates Abi Morgan's still enjoyable 1950s-set drama.
The Hour's new head of news, Randall (Peter Capaldi), is grimly determined to bring back some vim to the BBC's current affairs show, so he re-enlists pompous Freddie (Ben Whishaw). Romala Garai (below) continues to unconvince as a news producer, but the wonderful Anna Chancellor excels as the grizzled news hack Lix. The plot – about shady Soho characters and a damaged police chief – barely matters, as it's the crackling chemistry between the lead characters that compels. Great telly.
Arts & Ents blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
It’s hard not to feel sorry for doe-eyed Andy. He spends months pining after Louise, has huge nostr...
Fragility of life looms large over an episode that closes with the scarring on Julie's stomach. Whil...
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t