Easier With Practice (15)
Starring: Brian Geraghty, Kel O'Neill
Friday 10 December 2010
Can phone sex with a stranger ever become romantic? The possibility is mooted in Kyle Patrick Alvarez's intriguing drama about intimacy and loneliness.
Brian Geraghty (the quiet one of The Hurt Locker trio) plays Davy, a shy office temp and aspiring writer who goes on the road with his extrovert brother (Kel O'Neill) and finds his short stories underwhelming bookstore audiences right across middle America. One night in a motel Davy takes a random phonecall and finds himself getting hot and heavy on the line with a woman called Nicole, eventually confessing to her that she's the closest to a girlfriend he's ever had. Alvarez overuses long shots for one-on-one conversations, and stretches plausibility to breaking-point. But Geraghty as the awkward, lovelorn soul is outstanding, and the film contrives an absolute doozy of a twist ending.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Scottish independence live: Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum - as it happened
- 3 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 4 Friends 20th anniversary: Six things we wouldn't have without influential comedy series
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
Jay Z fights lawsuit over use of oh in 'Run This Town'
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Downton Abbey: Liam Neeson wants role as stableman in period drama
Star Wars 7 leaked photo of Adam Driver changes everything
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'