Marmaduke, Tom Dey, 88 mins, (U)
Starring voices of Owen Wilson, Kiefer Sutherland
Oh dear. Owen Wilson, voicing the accident-prone Great Dane of this lame family comedy, has well and truly landed himself in Chateau Bow-Wow, aka the doghouse.
Judy Greer and Lee Pace play his owners, relocating with the children from Kansas to California where Marmaduke, the said mutt, has to fight his corner against the hostile pure-bred doberman that rules the neighbourhood. The film tries to squeeze this caper into a high-school hierarchy mould, with canines playing variants of bullies, jocks and nerds – the hounds even go surfing, for God's sake. Not quite as insufferable as the recent Cats and Dogs sequel, but the family-comes-first message and the fart jokes aren't much more endearing.
Arts & Ents blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
It’s hard not to feel sorry for doe-eyed Andy. He spends months pining after Louise, has huge nostr...
Fragility of life looms large over an episode that closes with the scarring on Julie's stomach. Whil...
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t