Marmaduke, Tom Dey, 88 mins, (U)
Starring voices of Owen Wilson, Kiefer Sutherland
Friday 20 August 2010
Oh dear. Owen Wilson, voicing the accident-prone Great Dane of this lame family comedy, has well and truly landed himself in Chateau Bow-Wow, aka the doghouse.
Judy Greer and Lee Pace play his owners, relocating with the children from Kansas to California where Marmaduke, the said mutt, has to fight his corner against the hostile pure-bred doberman that rules the neighbourhood. The film tries to squeeze this caper into a high-school hierarchy mould, with canines playing variants of bullies, jocks and nerds – the hounds even go surfing, for God's sake. Not quite as insufferable as the recent Cats and Dogs sequel, but the family-comes-first message and the fart jokes aren't much more endearing.
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans