Peeping Tom (15)
Starring: Carl Boehm, Moira Shearer, Anna Massey
Friday 19 November 2010
Critically mauled on its release 50 years ago, Michael Powell's chilling study in torture stands as the fully achieved work of art it always was. I still recall the dread Peeping Tom inspired when I first saw it on TV, much as Psycho, another film of 1960, did.
Perhaps there was something in the air... Whereas Norman Bates was in disastrous thrall to his mother, Mark Lewis (Carl Boehm) suffered as the tormented subject of his behavioural-scientist father. "You're a puzzle and a half," says one of the dolly-birds he photographs for a moonlighting pornographer.
Now a focus-puller on a film crew, Mark pursues his own obsession with fear by skewering women with a tripod dagger and capturing on film the moment of their murder. Boehm, practically unheard of since, is affecting as the nervous stalker, and Anna Massey is excellent, too, as the girl downstairs who sees a vulnerable soul beneath the psychotic damage. Was it that inkling of humanity inside a killer that so disgusted critics at the time? Powell pushed provocation to another level, and in its cold, unsparing gaze, his psycho-shocker offered a commentary not just on mania and illness but on filmmaking itself.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Kylie Minogue, Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican lead female comedy breakthrough
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Simpsons death: Character killed off - but not the one you thought
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >