The Resident (15)
Starring: Hilary Swank, Christopher Lee
Friday 11 March 2011
It comes from Hammer, and features Christopher Lee on the cast list, but this psychological thriller honours neither the studio's Gothic tradition nor the pointy-toothed legend himself.
Directed by one Antti J Jokinen – he'll never be allowed to make a comedy – it stars Hilary Swank as an ER surgeon who rents a commodious Brooklyn apartment, but doesn't question its suspiciously cheap price. She is befriended by the hunky landlord (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) and his ailing grandfather (Lee), but soon discovers that something creepy is afoot: who's the peeping tom watching her at bath-time, and why does she feel so drowsy of a morning? Morgan and Swank starred together previously in the non-com PS I Love You, so in that respect alone this marks an improvement. The director likens his film to Polanski's The Tenant – he must be Jokinen – but his feel for suspense is nil and his drooling over Swank's half-clad body is frankly lascivious.
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 4 Paul Hollywood: Police asked if I wanted them to arrest Mary Berry for vandalism after she 'defaced' my car
- 5 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
JK Rowling's Harry Potter Halloween stories: Dolores Umbridge was based on real person she 'disliked intensely'
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Best horror films of all time
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Pope Francis: 'Caring for the poor does not make you a communist'