Things We Lost in the Fire, (15)
Friday 01 February 2008
This is the other way Hollywood goes with bereavement, a three-hanky sobfest that makes a song and dance about personal growth and "letting go". Halle Berry, at her most tremulous, faces losing her hubby (David Duchovny) by turning to his best friend from childhood (Benicio Del Toro), a recovering addict.
Allan Loeb's script goes for the touchy-feely approach to consolation, settling on the motto "Accept the good" for Halle and Benicio's one-day-at-a-time crawl back to serenity. The tastefulness of it all is mightily annoying; what helps us over the bumps are the supporting turns by Alison Lohman and John Carroll Lynch.
View the Things We Lost in the Fire trailer
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Students heading off to 'charity challenge' grounded at Gatwick after travel firm goes bust
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Like Jennifer Aniston, I am no less of a woman because I am childless
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Burning Man Festival 2014: Thousands gather in Nevada's Black Rock Desert a day late after rain postponed official start
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >