Wendy and Lucy (15)
Friday 06 March 2009
Or: it's a dog's life. Michelle Williams plays meek drifter Wendy, who's making her way up to Alaska in the vague hope of a job, her only company a goldenish retriever, Lucy.
When her car breaks down in nowheresville, Oregon, Wendy begins to realise just how lonesome the road can be. Williams, with pageboy haircut and a martyrishly sad face, is quite lovely as this lost soul, while writer-director Kelly Reichardt catches something poignant in the windblown spaces of the American north-west. Will Patton as a wiseacre mechanic and Walter Dalton as a kind-hearted security guard contribute excellent cameos. Not a great deal happens, but that's not to say my attention wandered from this quiet tale of woe for a second.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >