The king has come to Lewisham. Daniel Synge braves the fans
Friday 26 May 1995
Marvelling at the rare Elvis records on display, truant-playing Anthony Shore, 13, gives the museum a "ten out of ten" rating. "Elvis has always lived inside me," he says. In a woolly hat covered in Elvis badges, youthful septuagenarian Ida Lipscombe is hoping to find "all the records I lost at parties over the years".
With the addition of two glass-encased guns, a karate belt and honorary police badge - which reads "Elvis loved law enforcement" - some exhibits seem to belong more to a meeting of the Chuck Norris appreciation society, but the crowd jostling around the souvenir stall are a clear reminder that a major gathering of the sideburned one's devotees is in progress, his lopsided smirk sizzling from every piece of merchandise. Just like the initials "TCB" on his diamond encrusted necklace, you can bet that Elvis is still very much "taking care of business".
The $1,000,000 Elvis Presley Museum is at The Riverdale Hall, Lewisham Shopping Centre, SE13, today and tomorrow
Broadcaster unveils Christmas scheduleTV
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict