Glee cast smashes Elvis chart record
Monday 24 January 2011
The cast of the comedy drama Glee have smashed Elvis Presley's record for the fastest act to score 20 top 40 hits, according to the Official Charts Company. Stars of the television show took 57 weeks to achieve the feat, with Toxic entering the singles chart at No 40. Presley took 88 weeks to achieve 20 hits.
The Glee total includes three top 10s and six top 20s. They have sold more than two million singles and over a million albums in the UK.
Martin Talbot, the managing director of the Official Charts Company, said: "The success emphasises how digital downloading has transformed the consumer's engagement with music. The Glee cast are superstars of the digital music age."
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Plane carrying 162 disappears over Java sea
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
The Interview finally gets US release after Sony hack and terror threats – but reviews of North Korea satire are mixed
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times