Jackson settles case without giving evidence

Click to follow
The Independent Culture

Lawyers for Michael Jackson have reached a settlement with a Bahraini sheik who claimed the singer owed him $7 million after breaching a signed contract, the pop star's spokeswoman said yesterday.

Celena Aponte said the out-of-court settlement means Jackson will not be giving evidence at London's High Court as scheduled today.

Scores of journalists and fans had been expected to cram the courtroom for the appearance by the always-unpredictable King of Pop.

Aponte said Jackson was informed of the deal as he was about to board a flight to London.

"As Mr. Jackson was about to board his plane to London, he was advised by his legal team to postpone his travels since the parties had concluded a settlement in principle," Aponte said. "Therefore, he will not be attending court on Monday."

A representative for the sheik could not immediately be reached for comment late Sunday.

Comments