Jessie J song 'Domino' tops most-played list of 2012
Monday 15 April 2013
The Voice coach Jessie J has seen her track "Domino" knock spots off other releases to become the most-played track of last year.
The chart-topper edged ahead of popular songs by Gotye and Emeli Sande, according to music royalties body PPL, which analysed radio play in 2012 as well as performances on TV and in venues such as pubs and shops.
Jessie J's single was first released in 2011 but has continued to be played consistently since. The track was also in the running for best single at The Brits.
Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" was the seventh most-played song despite only reaching number eight in the UK singles chart.
Jonathan Morrish of PPL - which distributes fees for public play to artists and musicians - said: "The top ten most-played pop songs is always an impressive insight into what the nation has been listening to the previous year.
"These songs will undoubtedly stay with us for a long time."
PPL's latest results show it saw its income grow by 11% to £170.8 million in the past financial year.
The top ten most-played pop songs of 2012 were:
1. Jessie J - Domino
2. Gotye (ft Kimbra) - Somebody That I Used To Know
3. Emeli Sande - Next To Me
4. Maroon 5 (ft Christina Aguilera) - Moves Like Jagger
5. David Guetta (ft Sia) - Titanium
6. Olly Murs - Dance With Me Tonight
7. Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
8. Rihanna (ft Calvin Harris) - We Found Love
9. Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
10. Maroon 5 - Payphone
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Caitlyn Jenner car crash: Driver who died in collision sued by surviving passengers for $18.5m
- 2 Pictures show young Palestinian girl biting Israeli soldier trying to detain boy during West Bank protests
- 3 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 4 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
Edinburgh Fringe 2015: Monty Python-inspired Australian Sam Simmons wins comedy award with 'very silly' show
Game of Thrones season 6: Director promises most exciting premiere yet 'starts off with a bang'
Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Online toy marathon to launch new film
Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet: Technician quits after social media row with actor's fans
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Stock up on canned food for stock market crash, warns former Gordon Brown adviser
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn voters most likely to believe 'world is controlled by a secretive elite'