New chart for record shop sales
Wednesday 18 April 2012
Independent record shops are to get a much-needed boost after chart compilers announced that they would launch a new sales countdown to support the stores' contribution to the music business.
It is the latest initiative to highlight the importance of record stores, as the impact of downloads leads to dwindling outlet numbers. The new weekly rundown will include only physical sales at nearly 100 independent shops in the UK.
It is being launched by the Official Charts Company on the eve of Record Store Day this Saturday, which celebrates the shops' role.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Shia LaBeouf's Nymphomaniac sex scene removed from YouTube
Eminem, Drake and Jay Z among Spotify's most-streamed artists of 2013
Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 How black gold was hijacked: North sea oil and the betrayal of Scotland
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 5 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert