Stairway To Heaven 'UK's favourite rock song'
Sunday 18 April 2010
It is supposedly banned in some guitar shops and has become the stuff of cliche, but Led Zeppelin track Stairway To Heaven has been named the UK's favourite rock song.
The song, first released in 1971, was one of three Led Zep tracks which made the top 10 in a poll by digital station Absolute Classic Rock.
The Who were named runners-up with Won't Get Fooled Again, with their track Baba O'Reilly also notching up sixth position.
Stairway To Heaven started life when the band's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were staying at a remote cottage in Wales, Bron-Yr-Aur, and began to write musical passages.
It became a mainstay of the band's live shows, often featuring as a finale, although famously it was never released as a single during the band's lifetime. It was not until 2007 that it charted on download, but its ubiquity among rock fans is renowned, and it became a staple for any budding guitarist.
The movie Wayne's World features a scene in a guitar shop where customers are banned from playing the tune.
Artists to have covered it have included Rolf Harris and Dolly Parton.
Led Zep also made the Absolute Classic Rock listeners' top 10 with Whole Lotta Love at number four and Rock 'n' Roll at seven.
Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody took third place.
1. Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
2. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
3. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
4. Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta love
5. Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water
6. The Who - Baba O' Reilly
7. Led Zeppelin - Rock 'n' Roll
8. Free - All Right Now
9. The Beatles - Revolution
10. The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
The real reason Eddie Redmayne was cast as a trans woman in The Danish Girl
First Look at Bryan Cranston transformed into LBJ for HBO’s ‘All the Way’ film
Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007, says James Bond author
This little boy loves books so much that he cries when his mother stops reading to him
Does this Game of Thrones season 6 filming location give away an important character death?
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 100,000 back our campaign
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up