Stairway To Heaven 'UK's favourite rock song'
Sunday 18 April 2010
It is supposedly banned in some guitar shops and has become the stuff of cliche, but Led Zeppelin track Stairway To Heaven has been named the UK's favourite rock song.
The song, first released in 1971, was one of three Led Zep tracks which made the top 10 in a poll by digital station Absolute Classic Rock.
The Who were named runners-up with Won't Get Fooled Again, with their track Baba O'Reilly also notching up sixth position.
Stairway To Heaven started life when the band's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were staying at a remote cottage in Wales, Bron-Yr-Aur, and began to write musical passages.
It became a mainstay of the band's live shows, often featuring as a finale, although famously it was never released as a single during the band's lifetime. It was not until 2007 that it charted on download, but its ubiquity among rock fans is renowned, and it became a staple for any budding guitarist.
The movie Wayne's World features a scene in a guitar shop where customers are banned from playing the tune.
Artists to have covered it have included Rolf Harris and Dolly Parton.
Led Zep also made the Absolute Classic Rock listeners' top 10 with Whole Lotta Love at number four and Rock 'n' Roll at seven.
Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody took third place.
1. Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
2. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
3. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
4. Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta love
5. Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water
6. The Who - Baba O' Reilly
7. Led Zeppelin - Rock 'n' Roll
8. Free - All Right Now
9. The Beatles - Revolution
10. The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan in new celebrity hacking attack weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
Friends 20th anniversary: The highs and lows of the cast's careers since 2004
Friends 20th anniversary: Six things we wouldn't have without influential comedy series
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'