U2's ongoing 360-degree tour dubbed "world's largest tour ever"
Sunday 10 April 2011
On Sunday night Irish rockers U2 will claim the high grossing tour ever when they play their second stadium show in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The band’s 360° tour, which launched in 2009, has raked in almost $700 million (€485 million).
Announced by Billboard Boxscore, which tracks sales for concerts and albums, on April 8, the tour will pass the $558 million (€386 million) top-earning record set by the Rolling Stones' tour of 2005-07.
When the tour wraps up this summer, it will have sold more than seven million tickets to 110 shows, meaning it also ranks as the most attended tour in history, according to Boxscore. Rolling Stones sold 6.4 million tickets with their Voodoo Lounge tour of 1994-95.
The massive, seven-leg tour launched in June 2009 in Barcelona. In 2011, the band kicked off its South African tour in Johannesburg on February 13 followed by a slew of shows in Brazil, Chile, and Argentina. Beginning in May, U2 will tour Mexico, the US, and Canada, wrapping up on July 30 in Moncton, Canada, at the Magnetic Hill Music Festival.
U2 will also perform at the Glastonbury Festival, June 23-28 in Pilton, England, joining Britain's Coldplay and US singer Beyoncé as the main headline acts. U2 will play the Pyramid stage on Friday, June 24.
U2 has won 22 Grammy Awards, more than any other band, and has sold more than 150 million records worldwide.
Get a taste of the tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLDbyNSChUw
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >