Play of the week: Quiz Show, Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh
Friday 12 April 2013
Rob Drummond's complex but gripping psycho-thriller about truth and perspective stirs memories of 1980s television quiz shows.
Jonathan Watson, a star of light-entertainment in Scotland, re-creates the assured blandness of the era's hosts as ringleader Daniel Caplin; Eileen Walsh is outstanding as Sandra, a newcomer to a game called False!.
The first third plays as a game-show pastiche, but a twist comes with an act of bravura violence, after which Hamish Pirie's bold but sensitive direction follows Drummond's breakneck story into a siege of the studio and then a slow dismantling of Sandra's world. The threads snap into sharp relief with breath-taking effect.
(0131 228 1404) to 20 April
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 3 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 4 Motorists taunt suicidal woman on bridge and tell her to 'get on with it'
- 5 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
Church of Scientology allegedly sent threatening letters to film distributors and festivals showing damning documentary
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Contemporary art is a fraud, says top dealer
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture