BBC commissions original dramas specifically for digital platform iPlayer
Friday 22 March 2013
BBC bosses have commissioned their first original dramas specifically for catch-up service iPlayer.
Six short films will be made for the service to be screened over the next two years by "up and coming talent" as a BBC3 strand.
Although the BBC has screened some comedy pilots and spin-offs from other shows - such as a Doctor Who mini-series Pond Life - it has not created fresh dramas for the iPlayer until now.
Victoria Jaye, BBC's head of TV online content, said it would help to explore "storytelling outside of a scheduled TV slot or duration".
BBC3 controller Zai Bennett said: "This new drama strand is exactly the kind of venture BBC3 is all about."
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Bad luck, One Direction: Paul McCartney doubts success of The Beatles will ever be matched again
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture