Sheridan Smith plays Mrs Biggs
Tuesday 21 February 2012
Sheridan Smith is to play the wife of the train robber Ronnie Biggs in a five-part television drama based on her life.
The actress, who starred in the West End in Legally Blonde, The Musical, will play Charmian Biggs alongside the Ashes to Ashes star Daniel Mays, who will play the fugitive thief.
Charmian Biggs, who fled to Australia with her husband when he escaped from jail in 1965, is working with the makers of the programme on the show, which is called Mrs Biggs. She said: "I wanted it to be done as accurately as possible ... this was an opportunity to convey the rollercoaster of emotions involved."
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991 with most Brits wanting to stay in'