1. By entering the competition you agree to be bound by these rules. The Independent's standard competition rules (located HERE) also apply.
2. The competition is open only to UK residents aged 18 or over. Previous winners of the competition, employees of Independent Print Limited ("IPL"), its regular contributors, agents and contractors, the promoters, and individuals connected with any company involved in the competition, including for the avoidance of doubt employees, contractors and authors of Bradt Travel Guides ("Bradt") and the Competition Partners as defined below and members of the immediate family of the above people are not eligible to participate.
3. No purchase is necessary.
4. The competition will be launched on 21 April 2013. All entries must be received by midnight GMT on Sunday 2 June 2013 and should be submitted online (as detailed below).
How to Enter
5. There are two prizes in the competition. Both Published and Unpublished writers are eligible to win the First Prize as defined below. Only Unpublished writers are eligible to win the Special Prize as defined below. To submit an entry as an "Unpublished" writer you must never have been paid for any piece of writing that has appeared in print or on the internet.
6. Only one entry per person is permitted. Joint entries are not allowed and entries on behalf of other people will be excluded.
7. To enter the competition you must submit a piece of writing of between 600 and 800 words on the theme: "A Narrow Escape", which must be a true story, based on your personal experience and written as a first-hand account, in the first person.
8.1 For full instructions and to submit your entry online visit www.bradtguides.com/travelwriting
8.2 Your personal data may be shared with the competition partners Croatian National Tourist Office, Istria Tourist Board, Travellers' Tales and Stanfords ("the Competition Partners") and may be used by them and the promoters for marketing purposes unless you indicate that you do not consent to this by putting "NO MARKETING" in the subject line of your email submission.
9.1 Entries should be submitted online at www.bradtguides.com/travelwriting
9.2 In case of difficulty in accessing the online entry system from 31 May 2013 up to the closing date of midnight 2 June, your entry can be submitted by email as a Word attachment sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject field 'Travel Writing Competition' and indicating your status as either "Published" or "Unpublished" as defined above. The email must contain your name, postal address, email address, and telephone number and this information may be shared by the promoters with the Competition Partners and may be used by them and the promoters for marketing purposes unless you indicate otherwise. We are unable to acknowledge receipt or enter into any correspondence about email entries.
10. Proof of submission or of posting of a form will not constitute proof of delivery and no responsibility will be accepted for lost, corrupted, delayed or mislaid entries. We will not return your entry to you.
11.1 The panel of judges will include three judges from Bradt, one judge from Travellers' Tales and the travel editor of The Independent on Sunday. The winner will be announced at an event held at Stanfords travel bookshop in London.
11.2 The identity of the Judges may be requested by sending a stamped addressed envelope to Promotions, Independent Print Limited, 2 Derry Street, London, W8 5HF.
12.1 The First Prize (as defined below) will be awarded to the entry that the Judges consider to be the best. The Judges' decision is final. The Special Prize (as defined below) will be awarded to the entry that the Judges consider to be the best and will be selected from entries by unpublished writers only. The Judges' decision is final.
12.2 The shortlisted entrants will be notified by phone or email by 16 August 2013. All shortlisted winners will be invited to an Award Ceremony in September 2013 (date to be announced) at which the two winners will be announced. If either winner cannot attend the ceremony they will be notified by phone or email beforehand.
12.3 The winner of the First Prize (the "Competition Winner") shall win a holiday to Istria for two (the "Competition Winner's Prize"). The Competition Winner and a companion will be entitled to a holiday to Istria donated by the Croatian National Tourist Office (www.croatia.hr) and the Istria Tourist Board, that must be taken and travel completed before 14 June 2014. Dates of travel are subject to availability and the Competition Winner must give at least one month's notice in advance of their desired dates of travel.
* One week for two people in Istria
* Accommodation in a double or twin room, four-star
* Return flights (regional departures may be available, depending on dates of travel)
* Guided tours
* Dinner at Konoba Batelina, Banjole and the San Rocco restaurant, Brtonigla
The winner is responsible for all other costs incurred as part of the prize including but not limited to all beverages, spending money, meals other than those stated above and all other travel outside of that specified. Any changes to the duration of the holiday are subject to approval by CNTO and any additional costs must be paid for by the Competition Winner. The Competition Winner is liable for any expenses whatsoever incurred by failure to make the departure times shown on their tickets. CNTO reserves the right to amend activities depending on availability.
12.4 Transport to the departure destinations in the UK is not included.
12.5 The winner of the Special Prize for Unpublished writers ("the Unpublished Winner'") shall win a place on a writing weekend hosted by Travellers' Tales (the "Unpublished Winner's Prize"). Transport to the course venue is not included and Terms and Conditions on the Travellers' Tales website apply see: www.travellerstales.org
12.6 In the event that the Unpublished Winner is also selected as the Competition Winner the judges shall select another unpublished writer as the Unpublished Winner and that writer shall be awarded the Special Prize described in 12.5 above. For the avoidance of doubt the Competition Winner shall not receive the Special Prize or "Unpublished Winner's Prize".
13 The Competition Winner and the Unpublished Winner (together the "Winners") are responsible for organising valid passport(s), securing any necessary visas and complying with any relevant regulations or legislation or customs and immigration requirements relating to the Competition Winner's Prize and the Unpublished Winner's Prize (together the "Prizes"). The Winners are also responsible for taking out adequate insurance and obtaining health advice about any vaccinations required and any other health-related matters relevant to the Prizes. We accept no responsibility for any costs associated with the Prizes and not specifically included in the prize descriptions.
14. The Winners must communicate directly with Bradt about the Prizes.
15. All elements of the Prizes including, for the avoidance of doubt, dates and destinations are subject to availability.
16. The Prizes are non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and are not redeemable for cash or other prizes. We reserve the right to change the Prizes or to offer alternatives of similar value. In the event of cancellation by the Competition Winner, for whatever reason, no alternative prize or travel dates will be offered. Once a confirmed booking has been made, reservations may not be changed.
17. In addition to the Competition Winner's Prize the Competition Winner will be commissioned by The Independent on Sunday to write about the Competition Winner's Prize on terms and at the rate usually given to freelance contributors by IPL. Publication of the Competition Winner's commissioned piece shall be at the discretion of the Travel Editor of The Independent on Sunday.
18. If the Competition Winner or the Unpublished Winner is unable to take up his or her prize for any reason, or if we have not been able, after making reasonable efforts, to make contact with one of the Winners, we reserve the right to award the relevant prize (without notice to the first winner chosen) to an alternative winner, in which case the first winner chosen shall not be eligible for any share of the prize whatsoever. We shall not have any liability in such eventuality.
Intellectual property and other rules about entries
19. Your competition entry must be all your own work. It must not contain any third-party content or infringe the copyright of any third party and it must not be obscene, defamatory or in breach of any applicable legislation or regulations. We reserve the right to exclude entries from the competition that we consider, in our sole discretion, to be in breach of this clause.
20. Your entry must not have been published previously or entered in any other competition anywhere in the world before the winners are announced.
21. Bradt shall have a non-exclusive right to publish all entries on its website and in print.
22. The Winners grant IPL and Bradt an exclusive, irrevocable, worldwide licence to first publication; and a non-exclusive licence to publish, syndicate, distribute, reproduce and exploit the material in all present and future media and formats and to sub-license these rights to others. For the avoidance of doubt there will be no payment for such publication.
23. We reserve the right to withhold the Prizes or either of them, in whole or in part if the Judges decide, in their sole discretion, that there are no entries of a suitable standard in either the Published or the Unpublished categories.
24. The promoters reserve the right to publish the names of the Winners and the winning entries themselves, and the Winners are required to give their full co-operation to all requests by the promoters in connection with publicity for the competition, their entry, the Prizes or otherwise.
25. IPL reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change the rules of the competition while it is running if it appears to IPL that it would be equitable or appropriate to do so. This may include extending the closing date whereupon there will be an announcement of any such extension at the first reasonable opportunity.
26. No correspondence will be entered into or comment issued on any matters concerning the competition and no reasons given for any decision made by the Judges.
27. We shall not be liable for any circumstances beyond our reasonable control that prevent the competition being fulfilled, a winner or winners being chosen, or any prize being taken up or fully enjoyed by a winner. We exclude liability to the full extent permitted by law for any cost, claims or losses howsoever caused that arise by reason of any person's entry into a competition or the award, or non award, to them of a prize.
28. Names of the Winners will be available on receipt of a request enclosing a stamped addressed envelope to: Promotions, Independent Print Limited, 2 Derry Street, London, W8 5HF.
29. These terms and conditions shall be governed by and interpreted according to English law and the English courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction to deal with any disputes arising in connection with them.
30. Headings in these rules are for convenience only and shall not affect their interpretation.
31. Promoter: Independent Print Limited, 2 Derry Street, London, W8 5HF and Bradt Travel Guides, 1st Floor, IDC House, The Vale, Chalfont St Peter, Bucks SL9 9RZ, UK.