Day In a Page
Tuesday, 11 March 2014
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- Chimpanzees are better at computer games than children, scientists claim
- Peacocks make fake sex noises to attract the attention of females
- Elephants can recognise the gender and ethnicity of human voices
- Man v Robot: Table tennis champion Timo Boll takes on Kuka robotic arm
- Transatlantic great white shark Lydia 'may be pregnant' says expedition leader
- Marion Thorpe: Pianist who fled the Nazis in 1938 before sacrificing her career for her family and going on to marry Jeremy Thorpe
- Gerard Mortier: Pioneering opera director whose career was dedicated to breaking traditions and pushing artistic boundaries
- Lord Bilston: Politician who championed the steel industry and was popular on both sides of the House of Commons
- ‘Wild Bill’Guarnere: Bemedalled soldier whose exploits in Europe were dramatised in the HBO series 'Band of Brothers'
- Eric James Mellon: Potter whose lyrical work was infused with his love of the storytelling powers of Ancient Greek ceramicists
- Bob Crow: Polarising but respected trade union leader who dedicated his career to improving pay and conditions for rail workers
- Mohammad Qasim Fahim: The first vice-president of Afghanistan, whose career was dogged by allegations of atrocities and corruption
- Roy Warhurst: Dynamic midfielder known as 'The Destroyer' who helped Birmingham City blaze a trail in 1950s Europe
- James Ellis: Actor best known as Bert Lynch in 'Z-Cars' credited with helping Northern Irish actors succeed on the mainland
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Obama has chosen his side in the war Congress is waging on the errant CIA
- Three cheers for the marriage tax break
- One Direction fans should be lobbying the band, not just George Osborne
- Clegg’s free school meals plan may have some glitches, but who cares?
- It would be so much fun to say that Roy Jenkins remade Britain in his own degenerate image. The only problem is, it isn’t true
- The Last of the Unjust: Did I not get it? Or is the New Yorker's film critic wrong this time?
- As Caribbean nations call for compensation, it's time for Britain to examine its own history in the slave trade
- Britain isolated is Britain undone. When will Eurosceptics realise that the era of the nation state has ended?
- Banning ‘bossy’: what's so threatening?
- PMQs review: Did Clegg just put paid to a Lib-Lab coalition?
- Tinder isn't for teens, so why are so many using the app?
- i Editor's Letter: These students are not giving up on Westminster
- Nigel Farage: Ukip funding is only an issue because the Establishment is running scared
- Letter from Asia: A choral work honouring Malala unites Karachi and Crouch End
- A month ago, Bob Crow was reviled as a pina-colada-sipping hypocrite. But even Boris will miss him now he’s gone
- Bob Crow death: A geezer with a Millwall scarf, but also a singularly effective unionist
- As next week’s Budget approaches, ignore anything worth less than £5bn – it’s economically irrelevant
- Who’s scared of the word ‘cancer’, Katie Hopkins? I am.
- Bob Crow: He was one of a kind, from a time when union leaders used their industrial muscle
- Bob Crow death: This union leader was different, rare and largely misunderstood
- Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: An explosion cannot be ruled out
- i Editor's Letter: Blessed with high-calibre investigative journalists
- Revelations about Cleveland Police cannot be ignored
- Ed Miliband is right to rule out a 2017 referendum on EU membership, but for all the wrong reasons
- Evidence at last that Lockerbie was not a Libyan bomb
- Crisis at Co-op: The debacle over Euan Sutherland’s pay only confirms that he was not the right person to be running the mutual
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- World Twenty20 2014: Ashley Giles exasperated by England batting woes
- Jos Buttler's Caribbean cameo cannot hide World Twenty20 worries
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Cricketer Herschelle Gibbs tweets 'lol #neveradullmoment' after autographed bat is used as evidence
- The Light Roller: Kevin Pietersen's 'sacking' was a convenient illusion
- West Indies Tour: Graham Thorpe calls for improvement from England's World Twenty20 hopefuls after injury troubles
- Cheltenham Festival 2014: Sire De Grugy wins Queen Mother Champion Chase
- Cheltenham Festival 2014: Jezki wins Champion Hurdle, with Hurricane Fly in fourth
- Cheltenham Festival 2014: Sun set to shine on Ruby at ‘magical’ meeting
- Cheltenham Festival: Queen Mother Champion Chase victory for Sire De Grugy proves popularity of Moores' family affair
- Cheltenham Festival 2014: Jezki glory eclipsed by the sad demise of Our Conor
- Cheltenham Festival 2014: Jockey Ruby Walsh angers welfare groups by describing horses as 'replaceable'
- Cheltenham Festival 2014: O'Faolains Boy wins duel with Smad Place for the RSA Chase
- Cheltenham Festival 2014: Ruby Walsh clarifies comments that horses are 'expendable' following death of Our Conor
- Cheltenham Festival 2014: Ageing Europe can regain crown in Queen Mother Champion Chase
- Cheltenham Festival 2014: Our Conor death after fall in Champion Hurdle fails to dampen spirits at Cheltenham
- Cheltenham Festival 2014: Ruby Walsh rides Vautour to victory in Supreme Novices' Hurdle
- From Hoof Hearted to Better Than Sex: The funniest racehorse names
- Cheltenham Festival 2014: Hurricane ready to fly to a third Hurdle triumph
- Cheltenham Festival 2014: Champion Jason Maguire out after fracturing sternum
- Cheltenham Festival Diary: Big Buck's hopes to win in yellow
- Cheltenham Diary: Jason Maguire surgery offers strong hope
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- UK offers best 'superfast' broadband in Europe
- Face it - this is what you always wanted a driverless car for
- The Web is 25: And Twitter gets all nostalgic
- Titanfall: Xbox Live recovers after jitters; fans hold their breath for UK launch
- The Web is 25: 10 things you need to know about the web (including how much it weighs)
- The Web is 25: Let's look at some baby photos of your favourite websites
- iOS 7.1: How to get iPhone update, and what to do once you've got it
- Titanfall review round-up: 'Plot? Narrative? We've got giant robots blowing each other up'
- Mapping the tubes: The hidden world of undersea cables that make up the internet
- Apple iOS 7.1 update: Boxes are out, circles are in; CarPlay support and no more random resets
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 Q&A: What do we know about what happened?
- No repeat of Terminal 5 horror show when new 'Queen's Terminal' opens this June, Heathrow authorities insist
- Travel deals: Get away to Greece, relax in Bali or catch the end of the ski season
- 5 ways to... Take a cycling holiday
- Come to Crimea: Could tourism help heal the divisions in Ukraine?
Money RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Student RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The i debate verdict: ‘We can’t run away from Westminster politics’
- 'Mentally tough' female students do better than their male counterparts, study finds
- Watch: The student election Macklemore parody that isn't completely awful - and all the others that are
- From seminars to Sunderland: Young footballer Duncan Watmore on the unique challenges of balancing top-level sport with a full-time degree in economics
- Imran Khan's nephew Hassan Niazi apologises for homophobic language during City University SU presidency campaign
- Government to remove funding from balloon artistry and other low-value courses
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
- 1 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 2 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Warriors in ancient Iraq suffered Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder more than 3,000 years ago, say researchers
- 5 This crazy skiing video will leave you feeling queasy