Day In a Page
Tuesday, 15 January 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Daphne Oxenford: Actress who was the voice of 'Listen With Mother' for over two decades
- Daniel Edelman: Public relations pioneer
- Dr John Norris: GP who survived a kidnap ordeal
- Klemens von Klemperer: Authority on the Nazi regime
- Jeanne Vertefeuille: CIA officer who unmasked the spy Aldrich Ames
- Nagisa Oshima Film director best known for the controversial 'In the Realm of the Senses'
- Robert Kee
- Professor James M Buchanan: Economist who won the Nobel Prize
- Simon Lane: Novelist whose life outdid his fiction
- Jon Finch Actor who brought a brooding intensity to Polanski's film 'The Tragedy of Macbeth'
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- London helicopter crash will raise concern about flight rules far beyond Vauxhall
- The death of traditional retailers like HMV started when we caught on to one-click and the joy of owning DVDs wore thin
- The world has gone mad if Julie Burchill can’t stir things up and cause offence
- It sounds like a replay of Algeria’s civil war. Don’t bet on a happy ending
- Cameron's 'historic' speech proves he's the latest leader to lose control of his party over Europe
- Horse meat in your burgers? If the food’s processed, you’re right to worry
- In the bitter cold, under a starry sky, a glimpse of a bird of mystery
- Ukip, Berlusconi, and the Black Death. It must be the new Dan Brown
- If you ask me...I've figured out how to take over Twitter
- Let more women report how the country is run
- Who is Islamic cleric Dr. Tahir ul-Qadri? And why should Pakistan care?
- By threatening to confess all to Oprah Winfrey, Lance Armstrong shows us what we sorely miss in Britain
- Small farms are critical in the fight against hunger
- Be careful what you 'like' - Facebook Graph Search might make you rethink those ridiculous groups
- Kourtney offers to breastfeed her sister Kim Kardashian's baby - so what's the big deal?
- 'Visibility must have been zero, or close to it... The helicopter flew straight into dense fog. As a former pilot, this struck me as peculiar, to put it mildly'
- New year diet and gym resolutions are often a bad idea
- Labour says the working class no longer exists, so why do 60 per cent of us claim to belong to it?
- If the pension pot is empty, we have to let older people work
- Hopefully my discontent with winter will be made glorious summer by this boiler repair man
- On Europe, it's not whether we stay or go that matters. It's how we negotiate our relationship
- No word yet on 'boo' to a goose, but thankfully saying 'woof' to a dog is no longer punishable by law
- We should not pay a penny of RBS’s fraud fine
- Airing controversial views is the great skill of Julie Burchill's career - and something the Observer should never shy away from
- Don't forget the critical role of China in Mali
- A loss for the Christian lobby: the ECHR ruling reinforces the crucial point that religious rights don't automatically trump the rights of others
- Scrabble: do you think the letter values should change, or should we keep it classic?
- Social media promotes aid to Africa, from Africa
- Only 25 per cent of children walk to school alone compared to 86 per cent in 1971. What went wrong?
- The shocking truth about Ukip? There's nothing remotely shocking about the overdue implosion of these frothing, neo-feudalist cowboys
- The racist video in which a woman calls a man a 'smelly Nigerian' and he punches her shows two wrongs don't make a right
- The beheading of a housemaid in Saudi Arabia highlights slave-like conditions
- Julie Burchill should be free to offend
- As Facebook users dropped by over 600,000 in December - have we shared too much on social media?
- Twilight fans, Facebook house parties and the mother-in-law email: The top 10 stories when we've shared too much
- Why the news about HMV closing means a little bit of magic has gone out of our lives
- #EbayYellowSkaterDress: Woman accidentally posts nearly naked photo of herself on eBay
- Poll: As two women are selected for Sussex County cricket team, should all sport be gender blind?
- Poll: Is Lady Gaga wrong to use guns as a fashion accessory?
- 8 "heinous" food safety violations at the worst kebab shop in Britain
- The best #horsemeat and #findus Twitter gags following the Findus "beef" lasagne blunder
- #HMVmemories records customer nostalgia as HMV enters administration
- Apple's stock price: It can go down, too?
- Editorial: The West must plan for an arc of uncertainty
- Editorial: Strasbourg performs a double service for us
- Editorial: Where's the beef? We should know
- Editorial: Don't let HMV drown in the Amazon
- Editorial: A warning for London and its planners
- Editorial: Still an island of ignorance about Europe
- View from Bamako: 'They cut off the man's hand with scissors. They want to destroy Mali'
- Are Pakistan's military and courts gearing up for another assault on a fledgling democracy?
- As long as the cash rolls in, the West appears untroubled by Gulf monarchies' ideology
- Rhodri Marsden: How to survive an uncomfortable silence (hint: it's best not to panic)
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Rory McIlroy swings it for Paul McGinley to win Ryder Cup captaincy race
- Colin Montgomerie backs system that denies him second shot at Ryder Cup captaincy
- Martin Kaymer content to play gooseberry
- Nike's first obstacle: Will it be Tiger Woods or Rory McIlroy in Sunday red?
- Paul McGinley: The players' choice for the Ryder Cup captaincy
- Heather Watson snatches victory from jaws of defeat in Australian Open
- Andy Murray cruises into round two of Australian Open
- Laura Robson overcomes Melanie Oudin to move into second round of Australian Open
- Novak Djokovic demolishes opponent at the Australian Open
- Maria Sharapova sets up Australian Open clash with Venus Williams
- David Ferrer battles through to second round
- Victorious Vekic will not switch to Team GB
- Andy Murray and Laura Robson ready to turn up heat after scorching starts
- Victoria Azarenka and Serena Williams suffer scares before progressing at the Australian Open
- 'True fan' Rory McIlroy sacrifices sleep to watch girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki in action
- Roger Federer content after straightforward victory at the Australian Open
- Head of men's tennis Brad Drewett steps down after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease
- Players and officials shocked by Brad Drewett illness
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more