Day In a Page
Tuesday, 22 January 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Inez McCormack: Civil rights and human rights activist who fought discrimination in Ulster
- Violet Philpott: Puppeteer who brought Zippy to life in 'Rainbow'
- Eugene Patterson: Journalist who championed the civil rights movement
- Gigi Giannuzzi: Iconoclastic publisher celebrated for his books of photojournalism
- Stan Musial: Baseball player considered one of the best in history
- Toyo Shibata: Poet who published her first collection at the age of 98
- Squadron-leader Alfie Fripp: Britain's longest-surviving and oldest prisoner of war
- Michael Winner: Film director best known for 'Death Wish' who later became a restaurant critic
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- By offering an in/out referendum, Cameron made Ukip stronger. Let the war of independence begin!
- Cameron banged the drums like Blair, and one Tory didn't like it
- Cameron's speech on Europe makes it less likely he will be Prime Minister after the next election
- I'll miss my dinners with Michael Winner
- An Irish councillor wants special licences for rural drunk drivers. What would Flann O'Brien say?
- Soaring emotion in the silent music that is falling snow
- David Cameron's promise of an in/out referendum was full of contradictions and creates more, not less, uncertainty about Britain's future
- Israeli election runner-up Yair Lapid is the kind of pro-peace politician the Middle East is crying out for
- Public health minister is right - deprived families are more likely to be obese and we have to intervene
- Why flexitarians like me fit neatly into an an age when everyone is so afraid to commit
- Grandmother Lindsay Sandiford's cocaine sentence: Executing drug mules isn't just inhumane. It’s also pointless
- High street failures are a personal history of loss
- Closing children's heart surgery units? Time to rethink your NHS 'strategy' Mr Hunt
- These misguided Muslim ‘Sharia squads’ are playing right into the EDL's hands
- Brothels for disabled people: Guess what? We like sex too
- Cameron take note: international police work is no place for Eurosceptic grandstanding
- There’s nothing empowering about girls who expose themselves online. Look what happened to Tulisa
- In Barack Obama's America, reason and hope prevail where suspicion and poison once reigned
- In Davos, there is cautious optimism about private sector recoveries - and concern about the daunting task facing governments and societies more broadly
- To hope may be human, but don’t deceive us about possible cures
- Unless Ricky Tomlinson is working for al-Qa'ida, 'national security' is an odd reason for secrecy
- Alas Prince Harry - or should that be Captain Wales? - is as much a victim of fate as anyone he commands
- Mali, Algeria and what the latest conflict in north Africa tells us about the meaning of 'War on Terror'
- We'll remember Michael Winner for achieving what few can - a total reinvention
- Prince Harry might think war is just a game, but as a propaganda tool he has his safety, Afghanistan's future, and the lives of British soldiers at risk
- The Sessions, Untouchable, Rust and Bone - it's great they're tackling disability, but where are the disabled actors?
- Prince Harry was positively tame when talking about the brutal reality of war in Afghanistan
- Poll: does it matter if Joseph Kony is found dead or alive?
- In Israel, Netanyahu and Likud may be disappointed
- Can Barack Obama fulfil his second term promises?
- Israel, Palestine, Iran, Russia, China ... that's quite an in-tray for John Kerry
- Poll: Do you actually care about the EU referendum?
- Poll: If the EU Referendum Cameron has promised was held today, how would you vote?
- 5 Great GIFs from President Obama's Inauguration
- What is ‘swatting’? - Chris Brown, Tom Cruise and Justin Bieber fall victim to the latest celebrity pranking craze
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Andy Murray ruthlessly dismisses Jeremy Chardy to reach Australian Open semi-finals
- Andy Murray to face Jeremy Chardy as David Ferrer survives in 'miracle' Australian Open fightback
- Andy Murray to face Roger Federer in Australian Open semi-final
- Sloane Stephens stuns ailing Serena Williams to set up Victoria Azarenka Australian Open semi-final
- ITF to bring in biological passports to beat doping
- James Lawton: Ice baths and icy aggression point way to Australian Open triumph for Novak Djokovic
- Novak Djokovic advances to Australian Open semi-finals
- Maria Sharapova insists off-court links with Li Na will not be an issue after pair reach Australian Open semi-finals
- Opponents crushed as Andy Murray and Roger Federer head for Australian Open collision
- Sloane Stephens sets up test of Serena William's mentoring
- Andy Murray not concerned by lack of extended playing time - 'that would be silly'
- Serena Williams laments 'worst two weeks' following exit to teenager Sloane Stephens
- David Ferrer's 'miracle' escape act sets up Novak Djokovic semi-final
- Li Na reaping rewards of new coach's 'crazy' training regime
- Ivan Lendl warned he faces a 'fight' with callow coach
- Deaf teenager says disability can help him reach the top
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
- 1 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 2 Mother of newborn Baby No 59 trapped in sewer pipe told Chinese police she 'heard crying' when she raised alarm
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 This crazy skiing video will leave you feeling queasy