Day In a Page
Monday, 25 March 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
UK RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Gas crisis: consumers face shock £200 rise in bills as cold weather and snow lead to low fuel reserves
- Ewe greedy beasts! Lambs sheltering from icy cold weather feast on a quarter of a million chocolate Easter eggs
- Britons set for Easter getaway in search of sun as freezing weather shows no sign of abating
- Boris Berezovsky post-mortem finds hanging is cause of death
- School in Essex bans triangle shaped flapjacks after pupil is hurt
- Weather latest: Snow and ice will linger all week - but forecasters hold out hope for an April heatwave
- Boris Berezovsky died in a bathroom locked from the inside: the final hours of a Russian oligarch
- North Korean missiles 'on highest alert' to attack US bases on mainland America, Hawaii and Guam
- A VERY light lunch: Amazing miniature meals
- East Coast main line rail franchise opens for bids
- Crews fight to save blaze museum at Cuming Museum and Newington library in Walworth
- Tube map pioneer Harry Beck to get Blue Plaque
- Anti-austerity march hopes to break Iraq rally record
- Energy firms to be forced to keep large gas reserves under new proposals
- Bones dug up in search for remains of King Alfred
- Councils spends £2m on a bus stop: for that price I'd want Mick Jagger singing 'Gimme Shelter'
- Michael Gove attacks top universities for not being honest about preferred A-levels
- In pictures: Batman, The Godfather and Captain Jack Sparrow sculpted in the sands of Weston-super-Mare
- Anonymity granted for nurse due to give evidence at inquest into death of Royal hoax call victim Jacintha Saldanha
- Egyptian treasures feared destroyed in five-hour London museum blaze
- Child dies after 'winds blow buggy into path of van' in Croydon
- Exotic spider which may have travelled from India found in a fridge in Scotland
- Get your passports out! Forget the snow and winter's relentless icy grip, where are the best getaways for a warming early break?
- Wrexham family stranded in 10ft snow forced to burn old furniture to keep warm
- Thusha Kamaleswaran, paralysed after being gunned down in London shop, takes first steps
- Boris Johnson puts his troubles behind him after Eddie Mair grilling – as his father Stanley launches war of words on BBC
- Britain's big freeze: Qatari tankers sail to the rescue of UK gas supply crisis as snow and ice sets in
- Geocaching craze leaves York residents underwhelmed
- David Cameron accused of 'scaremongering' as new crackdown on immigration unravels
- Theresa May's big gamble: 'Troubled' UK Border Agency scrapped and split in two as Home Secretary takes personal charge
- Jeremy Hunt announces NHS managers will be blacklisted for failure and patients will rate individual wards in major shake-up
- One in three Labour voters does not trust party on economy
- L-drivers face 'minimum learning period' in radical overhaul of driving test rules
- David Cameron 'ignoring compelling evidence' that dearer alcohol would save lives
- 'You are a nasty piece of work, aren't you?': Boris Johnson's father Stanley attacks Eddie Mair over interview on Andrew Marr Show
- William Hague and Angelina Jolie to highlight problem of warzone rape on visit to Africa
- 'A catastrophic leadership failure': MPs launch scathing attack against ex-UKBA chief Lin Homer
- Labour tells David Cameron: leave the EU and US link will be damaged
- Donald Macintyre's Sketch: Even the Treasury’s clever chaps don’t have all the answers
- MP calls for 'Toryeducation' Twitter user to be unmasked
- Lastminute.com's Martha Lane Fox joins House of Lords and becomes Baroness of Soho
- Nick Clegg suffers further popularity slump among Liberal Democrat members
- Andy McSmith's Diary: Vicky Pryce might have rung the death knell for marital coercion
- Housing benefit bill: MPs warn that 'bedroom tax' will hit poorest
- Andy McSmith's Diary: Low-paid Commons staff a redemptive cause for Jim Sheridan
- Plan for separate votes by English MPs
- Exclusive: Michael Heseltine fears British people are 'too rich to push' for economic recovery
- The crime Baron and his gang who lived like kings by drug smuggling
- Savile police operation has 'gone too far', says former BBC producer
- Young TV actor cleared of gay sex attack
- MI5 director general Sir Jonathan Evans to step down next month
- Clean slate for thousands as minor crimes cleared
- Man denies part in Oxford child sex ring, claiming mistaken identity
- Father jailed for killing daughter in fury at failed football bet
- Gary and Phil Neville's father arrested over alleged sexual assault
- Sun deputy editor Geoffrey Webster in court as lawyer complains of 'profoundly disturbing' charges
- Chetham school choirmaster Michael Brewer jailed for six years for sex abuse of former pupil
- 14-year-old girl Jade Anderson savaged to death by four 'out of control' dogs
- Casualty actor Clive Mantle's ear bitten off in row at hotel
- Body of Lee Balkwell, found dead in concrete mixer in 2002, is being exhumed tonight
- Mark Duggan inquest: commission investigating police shooting that sparked summer riots 'not fit for purpose'
- Straight out of Argo: Five jailed over 'entirely bogus film project'
- Court orders stockbroker who defrauded £32m to pay nominal £1 fee
World RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Cyprus bailout: Large deposits will be seized and second-largest bank closed in €10bn EU bailout deal
- Cyprus bailout spooks markets as banks told to stay closed until Thursday
- Collateral damage: British troops are set to finally leave Germany, but what will be the effect of their departure?
- From techno DJ in Denmark to martyrdom fighting Assad in Syria: the life and death of Slimane Hadj Abderrahmane
- Cyprus deal is model for future bailouts says top European official as banks are told to open
- On show after 80 years, the poetry of Federico García Lorca that General Franco couldn't kill
- Q&A: Amanda Knox faces retrial - what happens if she's guilty?
- 'Ungoogleable' removed from list of Swedish words after row over definition with Google
- Meredith Kercher family welcome Amanda Knox retrial decision
- Amanda Knox to face retrial: Timeline of events
- As crisis grows, Cypriots think the unthinkable: a euro exit
- Italian minister quits after marines are sent back to India to face trial for killing two fishermen
- 'Many will go hungry': Cypriots face up to a bleak future after €10bn bailout
- Putin in surprise support for Cyprus bailout as Russians shop around for other options
- Amanda Knox awaits retrial decision as Kercher family speak out over 'unanswered questions'
- America awaits gay marriage verdict at Supreme Court as historic hearings begin
- Luck changes for Billy Ray Harris, the homeless man who returned an engagement ring dropped into his beggar's cup
- George W Bush most expensive former president at $1.3m last year
- American dream ticket: After burglary and business fire, US immigrant Pedro Quezada's luck turns with $338m lottery win
- Newtown’s fury at pro-gun phone calls from the NRA following Sandy Hook massacre
- Q. what should you never do at a quiz? A: Cheat - like Harvard student Andy Watkins did
- Harvard's quiz champions stripped of titles after cheating scandal
- Video: Photographer narrowly escapes crocodile's jaws in Costa Rica
- Syrian opposition representatives take seat at Arab League summit
- Blow for Bashar al-Assad as Arab League gives Syrian President’s chair chair to opposition
- Syrian opposition commander Riad al-Asaad loses leg in bomb attack
- Prisoner X: Ben Zygier was 'Israel's biggest traitor' and 'betrayed prized Mossad agents to Hezbollah'
- The secret war in Thailand's deep south
- US army hands over Bagram air base to Afghan control
- Ford India apologises for advert showing Silvio Berlusconi driving car with three women bound and gagged in the boot
- Filipino domestic staff lose their court battle for Hong Kong residency
- Chinese fishmonger discovers live bomb inside a squid
Business RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Britain's search-and-rescue helicopter service to be taken over by US-based Bristow Group
- Centrica buys 20 years of gas supplies from the US as cold weather and snow continue to disrupt power in UK
- Think-tank slams lack of competition on railways
- Progress on high street 'at snail’s pace'
- Glencore slips but the bosses prosper finance chief Steven Kalmin sees total pay package jump by nearly half to £2.1m
- Half of MailOnline usage 'on mobile by end of year'
- Eurostar profits double on surge for the Olympics
- Northern Rock and Bradford & Bingley 'bad bank' is confident of paying £43.4bn
- Asia stocks rise after Cyprus deal
- Overseas firms steal a march on UK in 'patent box' tax break hunt
- House prices leap but the divide grows too
- Argentinian uranium miner eyes a UK flotation
- Tenth of manufacturers still wary of upping pay
- Search on for new head of Big Society millions
- Sorrell warns cut in tax may not halt firms' offshore move
- Blackstone, Icahn have Dell in sights
People RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Science RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Media RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Education RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Moderate teachers' union backs vote of 'no confidence' in Education Secretary Michael Gove
- 1 in 7 parents failed to get children into first-choice secondary school
- Train us to deliver lessons on dangers of pornography, plead teachers
- Michael Gove and his 'gang of arm-twisters' are ruining education, says teachers’ union
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Edit out the sex and the audience is the loser
- Bizarre ruling in the case of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito merely highlights failings of Italian justice system
- Boris would be a disastrous PM. So why do I quite like the idea?
- What I overheard on the Tube tells me Gove is making the right enemies
- Cyprus puts the whole project of austerity across Europe at risk
- Don’t leave sex education to porn stars
- If you must Tweet, Mr Osborne, please – no cats
- North Korea's latest nuclear threat is a failed attempt to wring some concessions from West
- Nurses and care training
- Prescott on the Queen, Mantel on Middleton: Why are we only now starting to criticise the royals?
- David Cameron and Theresa May have clashed with the ECHR, but tying the hands of governments is essential for a healthy democracy
- Israel is addicted to settlements. Obama should stop enabling its self-destruction
- Why do we only hear one side of society in Sherborne's Tesco spat?
- Fat tax on planes? Try this for an airline...
- An immigrant’s perspective on immigration
- Grow up, teachers. You knew what you were signing up for
- The Cyprus bailout may please the Germans, but for Cypriots years of pain lie ahead
- Mark Webber, Sebastian Vettel and how we learnt that only the flag is black and white in Formula One
- Financial genocide? No – it’s more a case of financial suicide
- If you ask me... As a feminist, I got some new shoes, but skipped a haircut
- Boris is leader-in-waiting. He’ll never be leader
- Look past the barnet and Boris Johnson's ambition is more than just blonde
- Berezovsky: The Movie would be like Goodfellas on crystal meth
- David Cameron didn't want to talk to the people of Ipswich about immigration - only 'room meat'
- How can we have an Education Secretary so hostile to those who work in higher education?
- Virginia Ironside's Dilemmas: I've tried everything to get pregnant, what should I do now?
- Man About Town: Charities I'd like to highlight
- Think teaching body confidence is pointless? Try speaking to the teenagers affected by it
- Chinua Achebe's legacy is clear from writers who follow the path he forged
- Unruly children: How did ‘discipline’ become a dirty word?
- Ready, willing and able – but still soldiering on without a job
- Poor Boris - did Eddie really have to be so mean?
- Editorial: A risky tilt at the Tory leadership?
- Editorial: Only Beijing can rein in Kim Jong Un
- Editorial: Mr Hunt’s response to the Francis report is only a start
- Editorial: Cyprus - a lesson in how little has been learned
- Editorial: Let's get on and put press regulation into practice
- Editorial: Our immigration system is still far from fit for purpose
- A trip to Pompeii: Let’s have Helen the director
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- New Zealand v England: Matt Prior holds firm to earn tourists stunning draw but Alastair Cook orders an inquest into failures
- New Zealand v England player ratings
- New Zealand v England, Third Test: Tourists in increasingly hopeless struggle to avoid heavy defeat
- New Zealand v England: Alastair Cook couldn't watch final overs
- New Zealand v England: Brendon McCullum describes draw as 'heart-breaking'
- Graham Gooch: 'I think it’s a great reality check that you can’t take any team lightly'
- Australia's spin options for the Ashes
- Tiger Woods recaptures his No 1 spot from Rory McIlroy with victory at the Arnold Palmer Invitational
- James Lawton: Tiger Woods' return to world No 1 among his greatest achievement
- Kevin Garside: Tyson Fury should note that Muhammad Ali's poetry embroidered his genius in the ring
- Tiger Woods' bid to return to world No 1 delayed by storms at Bay Hill
- Sebastian Vettel incident will not see Mark Webber walk away from F1 insists father
- Sebastian Vettel v Mark Webber and other team-mates who failed to see eye-to-eye
- Sebastian Vettel v Mark Webber: Truce over at Red Bull as Webber fumes at Vettel's grand theft
- Mark Webber v Sebastian Vettel clash: F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone unhappy with Red Bull's tactics
- Kevin Garside: Sebastian Vettel's winning gambit in Malaysia was a primal eruption of avarice - and Bernie Ecclestone will have loved every minute of it
- Formula One, Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber: Sir Jackie Stewart joins those condemning F1 world champion for ignoring team orders
- F1: Paul Di Resta keen to move on from Malaysian Grand Prix
- Sebastian Vettel v Mark Webber: F1 world champions must be 'extremely selfish' says Gerhard Berger
- Red Bull civil war: Sebastian Vettel is personable off the track... but on it he's as petulant and ruthless as they come
- F1: Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton pits in the McLaren garage by accident
More Sports RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Bunce on Boxing: Ricky Hatton on brink of promotion win with Sergey Rabchenko in post-fight career
- The sport week in pictures
- Cycling: Chris Froome wins Critérium International with a view to Tour de France success
- Basketball: GB women opt for Damian Jennings as coach
- Snooker: Stephen Maguire and Graeme Dott fight back in China Open
Football RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Montenegro v England: reaction after World Cup qualifier
- Montenegro v England: reaction after World Cup qualifier
- Montenegro v England: Trash-talking Montenegro are running scared says Steven Gerrard
- World Cup: Spain, England and Portugal among big hitters under threat of missing out on Brazil 2014
- Montenegro v England: Joleon Lescott confident 'grown-up' Wayne Rooney won't see red again
- Live stream: France v Spain
- World Cup qualifiers: France v Spain match preview
- World Cup qualifiers: Montenegro v England match preview
- Montenegro v England: Hard work will tip the balance in pivotal match insists Roy Hodgson
- Brazil 1 Russia 1 match report: Luiz Felipe Scolari back at Stamford Bridge but without his old samba magic
- Roy Hodgson expects 'outstanding' disciplinary record to continue for England
- Montenegro v England: Stevan Jovetic and Mirko Vucinic represent deadly threat to England
- Montenegro v England: Mystery of Manchester City exclusion continues as Joleon Lescott fights for international future
- Montenegro v England: Wayne Rooney returns to scene of red card shame as Roy Hodgson makes six changes to team that thrashed San Marino
- World Cup qualifier: Northern Ireland v Israel match preview
- World Cup qualifiers: Wales v Croatia match preview
- World Cup qualifiers: Republic of Ireland v Austria match preview
- World Cup qualifiers: Serbia v Scotland match preview
- Fifa dismiss Costa Rica bid for replay with United States
- Oliver Bierhoff: Germany winning the 2014 World Cup is 'something of an impossibility'
- Montenegro v England: Steve McClaren says tonight is a 'defining game for Roy Hodgson'
- Late goal saves Australia from humiliating defeat to Oman
- United States boss Juergen Klinsmann wary of Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez
- Gordon Strachan wants Scotland to take out frustrations on Serbia
- Sol Campbell backs Rio Ferdinand to enjoy an international future
- Wales must find way to combat 'genius' of Luka Modric
- France v Spain: Vicente del Bosque sees no crisis as champions stutter in bid for World Cup qualification
- Republic of Ireland v Austria: Giovanni Trapattoni gambles with Conor Sammon on the menu
- Sunderland striker Steven Fletcher waits on scan results
- Northern Ireland meeting with Israel under threat
- Snow storm: Costa Rica want rematch against the United States after wintry conditions hit World Cup qualifier
- Montenegro v England: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain admits Montenegro match is a 'pressure game'
- Montenegro v England: Tom Cleverley prepared for hostile reception
- Rio Ferdinand will regret snubbing England says Peter Shilton
- World Cup qualifiers round up: Republic of Ireland rocked by Robbie Keane injury for must-win game against Austria
- England Under-21s v Austria Under-21s: Jack Butland happy to wait for second senior cap
- Blowing whistle on football's debt problem: Liverpool, Fulham, West Ham United backed by taxpayer rescued RBS and Lloyds
- Does sacking a manager late in the season work?
- James Lawton: England need to shatter the widely held theory that they crumble under pressure
- Focus on Brazil: Will the Rio revolution be finished in time for the World Cup, then the Olympics?
- Paul Gascoigne: 'Please don't let me die, I need to water the plants'
- Nigel Adkins' switch from Southampton to Reading is bonkers
- Rio 2016: City's crime rate cut, but work still to be done ahead of World Cup and Olympics
- Press Pass: Your questions answered - by the experts
- Matt Butler: Trouble sleeping? Here’s Gareth Barry with a bedtime story...
- Sam Wallace: Having helped take it away, can Greg Dyke put power back in the hands of the FA?
- Sam Wallace: Even in San Marino no one cares about the national team
- Sam Wallace: Ruben Loftus-Cheek - a £1.7m contract for the 17-year-old Chelsea player? Why not?
- Royal appointment: Nigel Adkins urges Reading to 'dare to dream'
- Sir Alex Ferguson admits surprise at Manchester United's 15-point advantage
- Does the appointment of Nigel Adkins suggest Reading are already planning for relegation?
- Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye reveals battle with depression
- Tottenham winger Gareth Bale signs new contract... with BT
- Mark Halsey will not referee Premier League game this weekend following Callum McManaman incident
- Jaap Stam to make return to Manchester United for 'Legends' match against Real Madrid
- FA Cup semi-final not distracting Wigan from Premier League survival bid says Antolin Alcaraz
- Stoke frustrated at Robert Huth suspension in light of Callum McManaman incident
- David Luiz confident Chelsea can complete cup double this season
- Relegation holds no fear for QPR, says owner Tony Fernandes
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic free to play both legs against former club Barcelona after Uefa halve ban
- Will Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho return to the Premier League? 'Naturally...'
- Tito Vilanova plans to 'gradually' return to first team duties with Barcelona
- Europe is the word: NextGen series hots up as Arsenal look to make it three English teams in the last four
- Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova to return from New York
Rugby RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Fashion RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Food and Drink RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Health & Families RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Mid Staffordshire NHS scandal: Government accepts that student nurses need more hands-on experience
- Measles cases spreading at 'alarming' speed, warn health chiefs
- Middle-aged man in Lycra: cycling turns sane men vain
- Plain cigarette packets 'not a smuggling risk'
- Obesity may be behind big rise in cancer of the gullet
Gadgets and Tech RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Motoring RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Art RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Sold for $155m to American hedge fund manager Steven A. Cohen: Picasso that was worth $16m less before it got ripped
- Beauty vs poverty: Haitian slums get psychedelic make-over in honour of artist Prefete Duffaut's 'cities in the sky'
- Sleeping beauty: Tilda Swinton beds down in the name of art (again)
Music RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Sandie Shaw hits out at music industry dominated by Simon Cowell
- Ant and Dec on course to top the Official UK Singles Chart with 'Let's Get Ready To Rhumble'
- Sound Of Change Live: Beyonce and Florence Welch to headline charity concert
- Let's Get Ready To Rhumble (again): Ant and Dec resurrect PJ and Duncan to top the iTunes chart 19 years since its first release
- Justin Timberlake knocks David Bowie off top of UK album chart
- Girl group The Saturdays 'thrilled' to top UK singles chart for first time
- Beyoncé's father Mathew Knowles speaks of 'incredibly painful' departure as her manager
Classical RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Films RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Emma Watson joins Madame Tussauds line-up
- Emma Watson joins Madame Tussauds line-up
- Lord Of The Rings makes Barry Norman's top ten cinema epics list
- The Brit List 2013 unveils the next batch of potential box office hits
- Skyfall director Sam Mendes takes hat-trick at the Jameson Empire Awards 2013
- 3D movies 'a phase' Danny Boyle predicts
- Helen Mirren takes a swipe at Sam Mendes and laments lack of female directors
TV & Radio RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Duncan Bannatyne selling his own Dragon's Den for £875,000 after divorce
- The Archers boss steps down after 22 years
- 'Tortured' BBC's Evan Davis advises 'casual approach' to coming out as gay
- Millie Mackintosh and Professor Green announce engagement
- Ten things Boris Johnson doesn't want you to know (but which last night's documentary revealed)
- Welsh singer storms China's Got Talent with songs in praise of Communism
- Downton's Lady Sybil, actress Jessica Brown-Findlay: I prepared for nude scenes by eating burgers and drinking pints
- The Village writer Peter Moffat: It's vital not to imbue period dramas with a Ready Brek glow
- Alan Davies: I nearly quit QI after BBC axed my comedy show
- Sir Tom Jones: The Voice producers fed judges comments in case we got tongue-tied
- Watching TV for three hours a day will not harm your children, parents told
- Melvyn Bragg calls on new BBC boss to reverse 'shrinking arts coverage'
- Simon Cowell plans hands-on return to 'my baby' X Factor
- Bafta Television Craft nominations 2013: Parade's End leads charge for BBC drama with five award nods
- Pompidou: BBC backs Matt Lucas' 'original and ambitious' silent comedy
- Peter Kay to star in BBC iPlayer comedy
- Carol Vorderman breaks her nose in fall down stairs wearing four-inch heels
- Peter Kay comedy series to air first on iPlayer
Comedy RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Theatre & Dance RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Books RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
UK RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Student RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Top universities really are biased in favour of private school pupils
- Uproar in Oxford as Trinity hosts Christian group with controversial views on homosexuality
- New Loughborough campus to be built on Olympic Park
- In pictures: Occupy Sussex mobilises in a day of action
- Video: One broken glass door aside, Sussex University protest remains largely peaceful
- Updated: Windows broken at major demonstration against Sussex University service outsourcing
Property RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
i RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years